What's new

Surfboard 8200 question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willyburz

Looking to possibly move up to the Surfboard 8200, but swear that I saw somewhere, there may be a security issue with it? Any info on this or details?

Thank you for any input

Looking to possibly move up to the Surfboard 8200, but swear that I saw somewhere, there may be a security issue with it? Any info on this or details?

Thank you for any input
I have had one for a while. It has been very good. I am only using one two way splitter.

Yes, there is a security problem with the spectrum analyzer. However, the problem is very widespread.
https://cablehaunt.com/

Comcast had patched mine a few days after I heard about it. I can browse the status page but not the spectrum analyzer on port 8080.

Thank you. Is this a firmware fix that may be released on new buys of the modem, or 100% on the backside by the ISP?

ISPs do firmware upgrades and patches of cable modems, by convention. If they have one for your model modem, it is installed automatically. You can't install from the manufacturer.

I guess what I meant was, do you think Surfboard has patched this on updated runs from the factory? Or not even something they do at that level?

I guess what I meant was, do you think Surfboard has patched this on updated runs from the factory? Or not even something they do at that level?
It doesn't matter what firmware is shipped from the factory because your ISP will overwrite it.

What matters is that your ISP has incorporated the factory fix in their version of the firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!