What's new

Solved swap corrupted? AX86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zany130

Regular Contributor
my swap is not being used at all and is causing mem usage to be 100% trying to do a swapoff gives
swapoff -a swapoff: /tmp/mnt/SYSTEM/myswap.swp: Cannot allocate memory

and trying to use the amtm utility doesn't seem to do anything it gives this on each run
Swap file deleted: /tmp/mnt/SYSTEM/myswap.swp Added missing swap file entry to /jffs/scripts/post-mount

May I recommend using a swap partition vs. a swap file. Make a swap partition on the USB drive and in the post-mount script mount it with
swapon /dev/sda1

Google is your friend if you need to learn how to create a swap file and mount it on an Asus router. But I have had far fewer issues with a swap partition than swap file on Linux.

look command
free

free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 934060 902140 31920 4268 1416 296924 -/+ buffers/cache: 603800 330260 Swap: 2097148 0 2097148

Last edited:
May I recommend using a swap partition vs. a swap file. Make a swap partition on the USB drive and in the post-mount script mount it with
swapon /dev/sda1

Google is your friend if you need to learn how to create a swap file and mount it on an Asus router. But I have had far fewer issues with a swap partition than swap file on Linux.
this still doesn't resolve the issue that I have a swap file on my USB that cant be removed

So I was able to delete the swap file by using another computer and create a new one with amtm, and now I don't get those messages in amtm anymore and I can even delete the swapfile now from amtm (Like I said I couldn't before), but it still doesn't seem to be using the swap instead filling up the router's system memory

It won't use swap unless there no memory available. In your post #5 you had 330MB of memory still available.
it still happens when it says 0MB available I actually had the router crash rn cuz it ran out of memory

swap partition not possible to use in most applications, such as Skynet, Diversion and etc.
Not true. I have run Diversion with a swap partition and it worked very well.

as you can see here my router is starting to run of mem and it's still not touching the swap
free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 934060 906092 27968 6720 236 406940 -/+ buffers/cache: 498916 435144 Swap: 4194296 0 4194296

should I open a bug report? maybe swap isn't working on the ax86u although if this was the case I think more people would have known about this by now, and I can't seem to find anything about swap not working on this model on the issue tracker or elsewhere

Last edited:
as you can see here my router is starting to run of mem and it's still not touching the swap
free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 934060 906092 27968 6720 236 406940 -/+ buffers/cache: 498916 435144 Swap: 4194296 0 4194296

should I open a bug report? maybe swap isn't working on the ax86u although if this was the case I think more people would have known about this by now, and I can't seem to find anything about swap not working on this model on the issue tracker or elsewhere

You still have 27968 free. I dont have any issues on my AX86U - stop looking at your memory and your problem is fixed. Linux kernel knows how to utilise memory and will use swap as required assuming your swap is not corrupt. PS what exactly do you have running on AX86U- i have over 211588 free and Im running all scripts as per my signature. Is your Diversion Block list abnormally huge? or something else ? Use htop to see your biggest memory users.

Last edited:
You still have 27968 free. I dont have any issues on my AX86U - stop looking at your memory and your problem is fixed. Linux kernel knows how to utilise memory and will use swap if required assuming your swap is not corrupt.
so then why is my router going into an unresponsive state where I can't ssh or use the WebUI and this only happens when I let the mem usage get too high. the most logical conclusion is that it is running out of memory and not using the swap

I know that merlin wrt is set up to only use the swap when the router's mem gets full, as it has a swappines of 0. but it seems its not kicking in as like I said the router is freezing

as a test I set the swapiness to 100 meaning it should always swap regardless of free mem and it's still not swapping
free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 934060 808304 125756 6500 1044 368672 -/+ buffers/cache: 438588 495472 Swap: 4194296 0 4194296
and I know I still have quite some amount of free memory here that's because I purposely stopped several processes so that my router does not run out of memory, so it doesn't freeze again

Last edited:
check and see whats using your memory as per my post. Cheers.

check and see whats using your memory as per my post. Cheers.
rclone uses a lot of memory especially when you mount cloud storage with lots of files so that's what's causing my system to run out
I'm seeing this in the routers logs so something is definitely going on
Write-error on swap-device (8:0:5152984)

Last edited:
rclone uses a lot of memory especially when you mount cloud storage with lots of files so that's what's causing my system to run out
I'm seeing this in the routers logs so something is definitely going on
Write-error on swap-device (8:0:5152984)

Ok there is your problem. Its trying to write files to the swap device but cant therefore running out of memory. Are you using a USB formatted to Ext4 for your swap device? What is the capacity of your USB stick? I notice you have 4Gigabyte swapfile - previously you had 2GB - Maybe you need a new USB and BTW 2Gigabyte swap should be more than adequate

Last edited:
It won't use swap unless there no memory available. In your post #5 you had 330MB of memory still available.

I think its actually 31920kb free Colin!

Last edited:
Ok there is your problem. Its trying to write files to the swap device but cant therefore running out of memory. Are you using a USB formatted to Ext4 for your swap device? What is the capacity of your USB stick? I notice you have 4Gigabyte swapfile - previously you had 2GB - Maybe you need a new USB and BTW 2Gigabyte swap should be more than adequate
its a segate onetouch 1tb ssd formatted ext4 I just bought it so it should be working fine. did an fsck and everything came back fine
yeah it's supposed to be 4 but when my router freezes and the swap gets corrupted it increases to 4 for some reason and then I have to delete it from another computer to create a new one

If you have a spare USB stick lying around I would use that formatted to ext4 with journaling through amtm for your swap. If that works fine then come back to your sea gate and work out why you cant write to the swap file.

Last edited:
If you have a spare USB stick lying around I would use that formatted to ext4 with journaling through amtm for your swap. If that works fine then come back to your sea gate and work out why you can write to the swap file.
I get that error on 3 different drives I tried I don't get why swap seems to be broken only on my router