What's new

Switched from Merlin's latest to latest Asus, stopped issues...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reason i mentioned this is i have comcast blast and i also get 57.7/11.7 and there is no power boost here confirmed by comcast higher end employees. Run this tool and check for yourself.

http://www.measurementlab.net/tools/shaperprobe This test will max your connection way longer then there power boost would ever last.

I have known about and used shaperprobe for years. Even used to load my own CM config in my modem.

Is your account a business account as I mentioned?

All residential accounts no longer have powerboost but, like I said earlier, there are still a few areas where business accounts still have powerboost.

Last edited:
I have known about and used shaperprobe for years. Even used to load my own CM config in my modem.

Is your account a business account as I mentioned?

All residential accounts no longer have powerboost but, like I said earlier, there are still a few areas where business accounts still have powerboost.

No residential here. Power boost was really a market ploy anyway and served no real function other them making a flash based speed test look better. I am glad they are phasing it out.

Just curious, but if the gains came from EM mode being turned on in the firmware, can this be done through a NVRAM setting or is this still something that requires the driver to enable?

It was actually a combination of both. I was (supposed to be) using a driver compiled with special features enabled at compile time, and in addition I was setting engineering mode at compile time for the firmware.

I have no details as to what EM did or how it worked (and the person who provided me the driver didn't either).

I'm sorry, but what you are suggesting is just plain silly. Any reasonable, rational, normal person is going to want the most secure firmware, which is usually the latest.

actually his post is a lot of sense.

The impression I get from reading the forum is people keep upgrading to the latest all the time blindly assuming everything is always better.

Whilst buffed up security is nice imo stability comes ahead in a secure home environment.

The reported asus fw security issues can be mitigated via good configuration.

If you have a fw thats working well for you, then its very good advice to stick with it, leave it alone.

374.40 was working reasonably well for me, but now I have a new wireless issue that appeared out of nowhere, suddenly my s3 phone has torrid download throughput on 5ghz, I had numerous issues with 5ghz on android tho so I am not blaming the router as of yet, I am guessing when I test using my 5ghz dongle on my spare pc it will be fine. I have the ac-66u not the older device.

Of course one reason asus maybe not complying with regulations is the fact routers ship with incorrect regions that are hard coded not configurable. I cannot set the UK wireless region on my router.

actually his post is a lot of sense.

The impression I get from reading the forum is people keep upgrading to the latest all the time blindly assuming everything is always better.

Whilst buffed up security is nice imo stability comes ahead in a secure home environment.

The reported asus fw security issues can be mitigated via good configuration.

If you have a fw thats working well for you, then its very good advice to stick with it, leave it alone.

374.40 was working reasonably well for me, but now I have a new wireless issue that appeared out of nowhere, suddenly my s3 phone has torrid download throughput on 5ghz, I had numerous issues with 5ghz on android tho so I am not blaming the router as of yet, I am guessing when I test using my 5ghz dongle on my spare pc it will be fine. I have the ac-66u not the older device.

Of course one reason asus maybe not complying with regulations is the fact routers ship with incorrect regions that are hard coded not configurable. I cannot set the UK wireless region on my router.

I'm sorry but it's poor advice to give to others to ignore security updates.

That's fine if you want to use older firmware including sdk5 with security vulnerabilities, but to encourage others to do the same is irresponsible. Sometimes it's better not to always think about yourself.

Don't try to drag others on to your burning, sinking ship.

I am not saying ignore, I am saying run a risk assessment and if you still think its an issue analyse if it can be mitigated in other ways.

Breaking basic functions of a router e.g. to patch a security risk that is minor to me isnt practical.

I also have to run risk assessments in my job, I dont just blindly install every security patch that comes along.

For now i seem to have at least partially resolved my 5ghz issue tho, I set the preamble to short, enabled optimized suppressed acks and disabled some power saving on the router side. This improved it a lot but I think is still under performing.