What's new

Synology DS116, failed to format disk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wutikorn

I took WD RED 3TB from my old NAS(seagate stbn200), which has not been running for a while and put it into DS116. But DS116(version 5.2-5678) failed to format the disk(error35). The disk has been formatted by the old NAS, and it was in RAID1. Is there any command through telnet that might help formatting this disk? I am not and will not be in the house where DS116 is for 2 weeks; that's why I want to know solution rather than taking out HDD to format by a PC.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-02-25 22.41.39.png
    Screenshot 2017-02-25 22.41.39.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 1,240
If the disk was part of an MDADM RAID set, there's a good chance that the md superblock might still be present on that disk...

Note that the tools and methods below can absolutely annihilate any and all data, so make sure any essential data is backed up somewhere outside of the NAS...

How to disassemble an old MDADM Raid Array

MD Admin can be very persistent on mounting/locking a former member of a RAID set - so sometimes we have to get brutal about it and zero out the persistent superblock that defines that disk as being a member of a collective RAID.

Find out your arrays (md0, md1, etc..) using - this command just lists any and all disks on the system.

sudo fdisk -l

Query your arrays to find out what disks are contained using - assuming that /md0 is something of interest.

sudo mdadm --detail /dev/md0

Shut down the array using

mdadm --stop /dev/md0 <-- or whatever md array the disk thinks it's part of - look for md127 sometimes...

And here's the magic key …… zero the superblock FOR EACH drive - make sure you know the target on this one, if in doubt, check

fdisk -l to confirm - below are just examples - in the example below, /dev/sdb was the device with the persistent superblock...

mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdb
mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdX...