What's new

Synology Update Cycle for NAS units

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GiorgioTX

New Around Here
Does anybody know of plans if/when Synology will be updating it's smb/home NAS units? In particular, I am interested in the DS918+ and it's subsequent replacement. It's not clear if they are doing hardware updates every year or so or longer. The release dates for this line of products have been:

DS415+ Sept 2014
DS916+ May 2016 (21 Months to 916+)
DS918+ Sept 2017 (16 months to 918+)

It's now been 15 months since the DS918+ was launched.

I don't want to buy a 918+ and then have a new version get released 3 months later. Any insights as to Synology's plans?

Thanks!
Ray

The 1019+ is due next month I believe. It's a 5 bay model though with exactly the same specs as the 918+

I'm in the same boat as you having just had my DS-415+ fail on me due to the intel c2000 series bug, whilst being just outside of the warranty period. (Synology pulled a right dirty on the 415+ knowing it was faulty and didnt recall them, instead extended the warranty to a period to minimise RMA's for themselves).

At the moment I have a sour taste in my mouth and i'm contemplating switching back to QNAP if a decent new model comes out to rival the 918+.

No replacement for the 918+ has been highlighted at all during CES 2019 and 2018.... Saying that the 1019+ was announced in June 2018 and still hasn't been released!

Any updates to this thread? Thinking about pulling the trigger and was wondering exactly the same thing, 918+/1019+ updates would be appreciated ….

Ahh makes sense - I think my wife does the same thing! It was a long shot I know - the silence is just deafening …..

Silence continues to be deafening...…!!!!

Has anyone heard of a delay or a reason there seems to be a gap? Are we waiting for the new software release? I have been "about" to but aa NAS for over a year now ….. I guess if I want to see the new releases, I need to buy the current model …...

Well.... you can just buy the cheapest one and play with the software, buy what you think you need now, or sit on your hands until Synology updates the catalog.

Even if we knew anything, we would be under NDA and not able to talk about it.

Still waiting …….am thinking that the whole COVID act is not helping the release dates for new product.....