What's new

syslog.log kernel: [truncated] L/npch ==NULL/n

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gds

Occasional Visitor
I noticed several threads that mention this system.log entry:

kernel: [truncated] L/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/n ... (usually repeats many times)

I see this with the OpenVpn server on the router with an active connection whenever data is accessed through the openvpn server by an openvpn client.

I also see it with idle vpn connections every 30-40 minutes (possibly due to vpn keepalives).

The place in the code where I see the printk() that produces this message is at
release/src-rt-6.x.4708/linux/linux-2.6.36/drivers/net/ppp_generic.c:2973 HEAD version.

Since this error was described as innocuous (and possibly caused by closed source components) in other threads, I just commented out the
printk("pch ==NULL/n");
while letting the function ppp_get_conn_pkt_info() still returns an error.
So I no longer see the error filling the log.

But I still have no idea why pch pointer is NULL when vpn data flows through the openvpn server.

P/S: The correct printk should actually be
printk("pch ==NULL\n");

I noticed several threads that mention this system.log entry:

kernel: [truncated] L/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/n ... (usually repeats many times)

I see this with the OpenVpn server on the router with an active connection whenever data is accessed through the openvpn server by an openvpn client.

I also see it with idle vpn connections every 30-40 minutes (possibly due to vpn keepalives).

The place in the code where I see the printk() that produces this message is at
release/src-rt-6.x.4708/linux/linux-2.6.36/drivers/net/ppp_generic.c:2973 HEAD version.

Since this error was described as innocuous (and possibly caused by closed source components) in other threads, I just commented out the
printk("pch ==NULL/n");
while letting the function ppp_get_conn_pkt_info() still returns an error.
So I no longer see the error filling the log.

But I still have no idea why pch pointer is NULL when vpn data flows through the openvpn server.

P/S: The correct printk should actually be
printk("pch ==NULL\n");

How exactly did you go about commenting out the printk function? Does this require a recompile of source code?

How exactly did you go about commenting out the printk function? Does this require a recompile of source code?
Yes, I did a build on version 380.57 after commenting out the printk at release/src-rt-6.x.4708/linux/linux-2.6.36/drivers/net/ppp_generic.c:2973. (But first I changed NULL to BULL to make sure this is where the message was actually coming from.)