What's new

Share /tmp syslog dir over Samba

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Apprentice

Occasional Visitor
Have just enabled SSH Wan access and would like to keep an eye on my syslog certainly initially to monitor proceedings!

Is there a way to share the /tmp directory over Samba so I avoid having to go through the webclient? (can set up new shares, but don't seem to be able to share anything from root)

Many thanks!

SSH and Samba(SMB) are two different protocols so I'm not sure what exactly you're doing here.

SSH and Samba(SMB) are two different protocols so I'm not sure what exactly you're doing here.
The syslog files are written to the /tmp directory. I would like to share that directory via Samba so I can open the syslog files directly eg in notepad, rather than go through the web interface or say winSCP

The syslog files are written to the /tmp directory. I would like to share that directory via Samba so I can open the syslog files directly eg in notepad, rather than go through the web interface or say winSCP
So how does this relate to SSH? It sounds like you'd be better off running a VPN server on the router. Even then you would need to create a custom Samba configuration as normally the router only shares directories on a USB drive.

Sharing /tmp would be a huge security risk. For instance, service config files are generated in that location.

So how does this relate to SSH? It sounds like you'd be better off running a VPN server on the router. Even then you would need to create a custom Samba configuration as normally the router only shares directories on a USB drive.
Hang on. I think I understand now what you're asking. I mistakenly thought you wanted to access Samba shares remotely. I now realise that you're wanting to monitor that file from your LAN.

having noted the many warnings, I have opened up WAN SSH access. And I'd like to keep a close eye on the logs at least initially to hopefully confirm nothing unexpected is happening/logging on!

Sharing /tmp would be a huge security risk. For instance, service config files are generated in that location.
good point! Just thinking laterally, would it not be possible to relocate the syslog to a less sensitive location?

Security risk aside (and I do agree with @RMerlin), you can use the /jffs/configs/smb.conf.add script and add your share definition there.

good point! Just thinking laterally, would it not be possible to relocate the syslog to a less sensitive location?
If you need remote syslog access, then you should consider remote logging. Asuswrt allows you to log to a remote syslog server.

If you need remote syslog access, then you should consider remote logging. Asuswrt allows you to log to a remote syslog server.
I used the free version of Kiwi Syslog Server back in the day. Haven't used it for years but it used to be OK.