What's new

The network drops down on RT-AX86U with latest 388.1_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gjf

I have to report about serious problem I have observed with latest Merlin 388.1_0 installed on RT-AX86U.

After update to this latest version I expected a regular network drop down during high load. It happens when:
  • Copying huge amount of data from shared resource (HDD connected to USB 3).
  • Downloading a number of files from internet (doesn't matter from where).
In this case the copying/downloading process just stops and the whole connection is lost. At the same time the router works ok and has an access to Internet. Disconnecting/connecting WiFi solves the problem just for some time.
The situation is the same for different client using different OS.
The router log does not show something specific.

I thought the problem is my provider (NAT / grey IP and IPTV thru multicast ) however changing provider with white Ip and no multicast did not help.

I did a downgrade without resetting settings to 386.7_2 - and the problem disappeared!

Will continue test but two days without any previous symptoms is quite a good sign/

After numerous tests seems the problem is cause by firmware itself (and of course by some of my settings).
The best solution was a dirty revert to Merlin RT-AX86U_386.7_0/ All following versions seems affected.

Copying huge amount of data from shared resource (HDD connected to USB 3).

Nothing new or unexpected. Your router is not a NAS.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!