What's new

The Winter Knight is here

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Merlin

Thanks for your continued hard work.

I wonder whether during your tweaks on the scripting etc whether you can make things like persistent DHCP reservations (and maybe others like DHCP or QoS) easier to implement?

I am not a script expert and with a little help managed to get setup into the JFFS partition for my DHCP settings but these have to be recreated every time the firmware is updated. Would it be possible to read in some standard config files as part of your script tweaks from a USB hard drive or similar? I would be very happy even if it required a reboot afterwards?

I don't understand what you mean by persistent DHCP reservations, beside what is usually configured on the DHCP Server page.

I too am getting duplicates on my iPhone app showing the same devices 2x. One will work and wake the pc, the other just times out, or will mimic the real one when going to sleep or coming online.

I have the devices "desktop pc" hooked up to the RT-N66U with cat5

The new dropbear still has the problem with the static path (which doesn't include /opt/bin)
openwrt put in some patch for this here, but they didn't add /opt.
Debian also made some changes so dropbear would read /etc/login.defs

it would be nice, given how static this environment is, to change DEFAULT_PATH to have /opt/bin in it. (w/o it, it breaks the use of 'mosh' since the default clients e.g. on android just do 'ssh rtr mosh-server', and it doesn't find it). and since bin is non-writeable, i can't ln it there.

I was already changing the path for sftp-server, but this is the first I hear about other things failing to work due to path issues. I'll take a look at the OpenWRT patch.

Just upgraded to Winter Knight... Network client discovery is working fine.

I did run across a problem... When I logout from the router (RT-N66U), it tells me it is logged off. But then I go right back into the router IP address and it goes right into the router main page as if I had never logged off...

This happens on IE10, without any addons/cookie blockers...
Same happens on Chrome with Add Block Plus, Ghostery, DNT Me...

This is normal, and has always worked like this. The webui relies on HTTP authentication. If you logoff, your browser still has the cached credentials, and automatically resubmits them if you try to reload a page on the router. You must close your browser to flush out the auth credentials from its memory.

I don't understand what you mean by persistent DHCP reservations, beside what is usually configured on the DHCP Server page.

Sorry a slight wording error on my part. I meant to make some things persistent such as my DHCP reservations for static IP allocation etc. I do this at the moment with a dnsmasq script that reads a file of entries in from JFFS but that is lost when I flash new firmware. I use this approach to avoid the hassles when I reset to defaults following a major release.

What I was thinking of would be the option to create config files on sda1 that are read by the firmware if present, for creating entries that are a pain to rebuild if there is a reset to defaults. For me these would be DHCP, Parental Controls and QoS but I'm sure others have different requests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just installed this beta version about an hour ago no issues so far Roku boxes stream good speeds are good both bands. The client list workes but i see no difference in the wait time for all clients to show up. I will post back if i notice any issues. Thanks Merlin for the effort and time.

can't pass any comments as it is still early apart from client status resolving everything 1st time :)

Sorry a slight wording error on my part. I meant to make some things persistent such as my DHCP reservations for static IP allocation etc. I do this at the moment with a dnsmasq script that reads a file of entries in from JFFS but that is lost when I flash new firmware. I use this approach to avoid the hassles when I reset to defaults following a major release.

What I was thinking of would be the option to create config files on sda1 that are read by the firmware if present, for creating entries that are a pain to rebuild if there is a reset to defaults. For me these would be DHCP, Parental Controls and QoS but I'm sure others have different requests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set your DHCP reservations through the webui, and export a backup of your reservations like this:

Code:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist > /mnt/sda1/dhcpstatic.txt

To restore them after a factory default reset:

Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist=`cat /mnt/sda1/dhcpstatic.txt`

(those are backticks, not quotes)

USB cannot be used for storing config settings, USB is mounted too late in the boot process.

Last edited:
Thank you Kad and Merlin.;)

Set your DHCP reservations through the webui, and export a backup of your reservations like this:

Code:
nvram get > /mnt/sda1/dhcpstatic.txt

Shouldn't that be:

Code:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist > /mnt/sda1/dhcpstatic.txt

To restore them after a factory default reset:

Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist=`cat /mnt/sda1/dhcpstatic.txt`

(those are backticks, not quotes)

Using $() for command substitution avoids the confusion and is generally preferred over backticks

nvram set dhcp_staticlist=$(cat /mnt/sda1/dhcpstatic.txt)

GPL of ASUS RT-AC68U for firmware 3.0.0.4.374.501 arrived

@RMerlin
GPL 501 is available for download :)
Merry XMAS!

Hi Merlin, Thanks for the new firmware!

After testing the beta SDK5 I still have slow WAN speeds, i previously had 35_2 SDK5 and that was getting 100mbps, however now no matter which firmware version SDK5 i try I only get 50mbps.

Tried non SDK5 and it is fine, though wireless is shirt house. So I have reverted to 35_4 SDK5 for the time being.

This slow WAN business is starting to get annoying.

PS: I know this is an ongoing issue for me, I have no idea what the problem is.

pppoe is better with this one, before on .33 and later fw, after flashing I got the: "pppd: Remote message: duplicate address detected" message.
And I could not connect to the internet directly, now it does.
THX! (ac66u)

Not shown in this post but is in the changelog on website

- CHANGED: Extended retry period for WAN DHCP queries to 160 secs
in Normal DHCP mode to give time to Charter to
unblacklist customers being accidentally blocked by them.

This fixed my issues where my router would get blacklisted by Charter after a modem reboot or power outage. I was on the previous firmware (with Normal DHCP query frequency set) and I still had issues after a power outage or modem reboot. Apparently some areas need the extra 20 seconds or whatever was added. I have a Ubee DDM352 modem BTW.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Not shown in this post but is in the changelog on website

- CHANGED: Extended retry period for WAN DHCP queries to 160 secs
in Normal DHCP mode to give time to Charter to
unblacklist customers being accidentally blocked by them.

This fixed my issues where my router would get blacklisted by Charter after a modem reboot or power outage. I was on the previous firmware (with Normal DHCP query frequency set) and I still had issues after a power outage or modem reboot. Apparently some areas need the extra 20 seconds or whatever was added. I have a Ubee DDM352 modem BTW.

Thanks!

I suspect Charter might have changed the timings at some point, as the original values I was provided were 120 seconds, and it was confirmed to be working by Charter customers at the time.

I'm not fond of the idea of making the router wait longer to request a new lease, but at least now it's a configurable option (normal or aggressive), while originally I was making it the default value.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!