What's new

TL-PA9020 KIT x2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bsod

Regular Contributor
I have 4 units of these in total and have been using them for years, generally no trouble..until today.

I live in a 5 bedroom house and one adaptor on the opposite outer wall to the other seems to have just been unable to make a link suddenly, the middle lights on both switch between green and red indicating an issue.

I have since unplugged them both and paired them together with the others and tried again in the troubled location and still the same problem. TP-Link monitor is a mess, sometimes showing 800mbps connection between the two, sometimes red. Sometimes only one adaptor.

Testing the others in different locations they seem to be okay, working fine.

I have done things by the book, have all local devices plugged through the power-line adaptor to avoid interference.

Is there a way for to measure a problem? It makes me wonder if the electrics are faulty in the house.

Last edited:
I hope so, I guess that is the first step. I already had a Trendnet 500mbps one fail in the past.
I had an ActionTec 500 fail on me as well.....It does happen.

Any 'summer' weather where you are located? Lightening storms?

From England so no extreme weather, its been hotter than usual so maybe that killed it off.

For a while once every couple of weeks it was loosing connection before this happened, maybe that was its way of telling me it was dying!

I have since unplugged them both and paired them together with the others and tried again in the troubled location and still the same problem. TP-Link monitor is a mess, sometimes showing 800mbps connection between the two, sometimes red. Sometimes only one adaptor.

If you put them all on the same circuit - do they all pair up ok?

If so, at the problem area - does the problem move with the adapter when rotating another into place, or does it stay there at the location that is "challenged".

If it moves, then it's likely the adapter, if it doesn't, then it's interference at the location - might be a breaker going bad if you're going across circuits, or a new noise source on that circuit (check AC adapters, etc)

@sfx2000 said what i was going to mention, interference.
Have there been any new devices at home? There are plenty of things that can introduce interference on power, they range from plenty of things such as TVs or anything that has a noisy power adapter. Keep your wifi away from the power as well. Have you also switched to a "smart" (dumb) power meter?

I'm lost with this now, I thought before I had resolved it and found the culprit but the problem seems to be back again a week later. Red light on a different TP link adaptor (same model).

Last week I found that after resetting all adaptors and re-pairing close together that there was never a solid connection, the connection light was flashing between red and green, inspecting through my laptop using a ping test there was high latency and dropped packets.

I then decided to switch off each device that could be interfering, starting with a range extender I have plugged into another powerline adaptor downstairs. I turned it off and bam suddenly there was no dropped pings and latency was 10ms max again. At this point everything was good. I tried to repeat the dropped packets by plugging the range extender back in again and it triggered them once more. I then took the range extender and plugged it in closer to where the connection problem initially was and there wasn't a problem. After 2x being able to repeat the problem in its original location with dropped packets and 1x not repeating the problem with the range extender in another location I thought 'I wonder what will happen if I plug the range extender back in its original powerline and location now' so I did so and again, despite triggering packet loss initially and the second time of testing it started to work fine and there was no packet loss
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So I struggle with this whole troubleshooting process, its stupid things like this that make me hate technology!!

Today, a week later again red light in the troublesome location, this time a different TP link adapter but the same issue. My first point of call was to turn off the range extender downstairs again, this time it did not solve the problem. Second step was to turn off the garage door motor, it did not solve the problem. I cannot think of something else that could be causing the sudden red light?

I think power cycled the adaptor after doing this and it works fine again!!

I am really struggling to understand the logical steps when troubleshooting here. I know that process of elimination could be the only way I can get to the bottom of this but why am I getting such strange results? Is it possible that the adaptor is thrown into a state of no recovery by whatever is causing it to go wrong and I can't test if changing anything else until I after I power cycle it or should it return to normal operation without a power cycle?

Am I going to have to keep power cycling it and waiting another week for it to stop working before I can eliminate another device?
:(
I am really stuck here

BTW, during this process I did find out that one of my 4 tp link adaptors was broken, it was showing a constant red light even after resetting it to factory default and testing it paired directly next to another adaptor.

Have I just got really unlucky or has something destroyed these adaptors? I recently had some issues getting static shocks through my computer from a second pair of power sockets adjacent in the same room to the problem location but that went away after a while... so could there be something wrong with the electrics in the house? I had test already with a "tester plug" to make sure the electrics were all wired correctly and they were.

I do own 2x BT branded powerline adapters too and during the last problems I had also been testing them in the troubled location and they had the same issue. Perhaps my next best step is to just use 2x of them between the troubled location and the modem/router downstairs for long term use to see if the exact same thing happens with those.

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated, sorry for not updating for some time. It is such an annoying problem that only happens every one or two weeks and is a right pain in the backside!

@sfx2000 said what i was going to mention, interference.
Have there been any new devices at home? There are plenty of things that can introduce interference on power, they range from plenty of things such as TVs or anything that has a noisy power adapter. Keep your wifi away from the power as well. Have you also switched to a "smart" (dumb) power meter?
I have a router acting as an access point in the trouble location about 3ft away plugged in via a ethernet cable and a range extender running as an access point downstairs. No smart meter.

I'm lost with this now, I thought before I had resolved it and found the culprit but the problem seems to be back again a week later. Red light on a different TP link adaptor (same model).

Last week I found that after resetting all adaptors and re-pairing close together that there was never a solid connection, the connection light was flashing between red and green, inspecting through my laptop using a ping test there was high latency and dropped packets.

I then decided to switch off each device that could be interfering, starting with a range extender I have plugged into another powerline adaptor downstairs. I turned it off and bam suddenly there was no dropped pings and latency was 10ms max again. At this point everything was good. I tried to repeat the dropped packets by plugging the range extender back in again and it triggered them once more. I then took the range extender and plugged it in closer to where the connection problem initially was and there wasn't a problem. After 2x being able to repeat the problem in its original location with dropped packets and 1x not repeating the problem with the range extender in another location I thought 'I wonder what will happen if I plug the range extender back in its original powerline and location now' so I did so and again, despite triggering packet loss initially and the second time of testing it started to work fine and there was no packet loss
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So I struggle with this whole troubleshooting process, its stupid things like this that make me hate technology!!

Today, a week later again red light in the troublesome location, this time a different TP link adapter but the same issue. My first point of call was to turn off the range extender downstairs again, this time it did not solve the problem. Second step was to turn off the garage door motor, it did not solve the problem. I cannot think of something else that could be causing the sudden red light?

I think power cycled the adaptor after doing this and it works fine again!!

I am really struggling to understand the logical steps when troubleshooting here. I know that process of elimination could be the only way I can get to the bottom of this but why am I getting such strange results? Is it possible that the adaptor is thrown into a state of no recovery by whatever is causing it to go wrong and I can't test if changing anything else until I after I power cycle it or should it return to normal operation without a power cycle?

Am I going to have to keep power cycling it and waiting another week for it to stop working before I can eliminate another device?
:(
I am really stuck here

BTW, during this process I did find out that one of my 4 tp link adaptors was broken, it was showing a constant red light even after resetting it to factory default and testing it paired directly next to another adaptor.

Have I just got really unlucky or has something destroyed these adaptors? I recently had some issues getting static shocks through my computer from a second pair of power sockets adjacent in the same room to the problem location but that went away after a while... so could there be something wrong with the electrics in the house? I had test already with a "tester plug" to make sure the electrics were all wired correctly and they were.

I do own 2x BT branded powerline adapters too and during the last problems I had also been testing them in the troubled location and they had the same issue. Perhaps my next best step is to just use 2x of them between the troubled location and the modem/router downstairs for long term use to see if the exact same thing happens with those.

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated, sorry for not updating for some time. It is such an annoying problem that only happens every one or two weeks and is a right pain in the backside!

I have a router acting as an access point in the trouble location about 3ft away plugged in via a ethernet cable and a range extender running as an access point downstairs. No smart meter.
static shock = bad grounding and capacitive effect

Might want to have an electrician check your mains - could be a degraded earth ground connection...

But how should these issues present themselves? Surely if it was something with the electrics then it would be failing all the time rather than once a week suddenly going from a decent quality connection to nothing?

But how should these issues present themselves? Surely if it was something with the electrics then it would be failing all the time rather than once a week suddenly going from a decent quality connection to nothing?

If you have a floating ground on your mains - it can present itself in a lot of different ways - appliances generally don't care actually, but electronics can. You've seen that at least one of your home plugs have been burned out, and you're getting static shocks from devices you shouldn't get them from.

Doesn't hurt to have an expert just check things out on the mains...

If you have a floating ground on your mains - it can present itself in a lot of different ways - appliances generally don't care actually, but electronics can. You've seen that at least one of your home plugs have been burned out, and you're getting static shocks from devices you shouldn't get them from.

Doesn't hurt to have an expert just check things out on the mains...
I second this assessment. Even if you had no problems with the powerlines an electrical shock that is not normal indicates a serious problem.

I want to get an electrician to test things out but I fear the moment I mention homeplugs to him he will roll his eyes and probably start spouting the conspiracy theories you often hear about with them.

What exactly do I need to get him to check? I can tell him I was getting shocked from one outlet using my computer.

But for him to find something wrong I feel I'm gonna need at least some basic knowledge to explain what I want him to do :)

I want to get an electrician to test things out but I fear the moment I mention homeplugs to him he will roll his eyes and probably start spouting the conspiracy theories you often hear about with them.

What exactly do I need to get him to check? I can tell him I was getting shocked from one outlet using my computer.

But for him to find something wrong I feel I'm gonna need at least some basic knowledge to explain what I want him to do :)

I'd advise...

"I'm having some issues with home electronics - I've had a few burn out, and getting things like 'zaps' occasionally - can you check the mains, the household circuits, and the earthing to ground"

Shouldn't take him more than 30 minutes to check - remember, electricians are like plumbers, and their time on site is their income.

I would put away all the powerline adapters and simply tell him that you got shocked by touching the computer a few times, but it's gone now, and for him to see if he can find the cause and fix it.

Today I thought it happened again (after running without the problem range extender for now) but it was something else. This time my computer had the familiar "connected no internet" symbol. When I checked my router that was also connected to the same powerline adaptor it also mentioned it wasn't connected to the internet.

I rebooted the router and hey presto, everything worked again.

My config is as follows:

Netgear R7000>>>Ethernet>>>Powerline socket 1>>>Powerline near modem/router
Laptop>>>Ethernet>>>Powerline socket 2>>>Powerline near modem/router

Could there be an issue running two devices like that? I wanted to run my laptop directly connected to the modem/router downstairs but since a reboot of my router upstairs (that is acting only as an access point) fixed it, should I be concerned?

Sometimes devices act funny if their power isn't right. I'd focus on the power issue first. Even perfectly powered devices get hung up every so often or do weird things, so I wouldn't read more into it until the power is fixed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!