What's new

Toggling "Access intranet" in Guest Network setup kills WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Frantisek Brabec

Occasional Visitor
Often, after toggling "Access intranet" in Guest Network, WiFi clients lose connectivity to the internet or are unable to re-connect to WiFi (I believe the appearance on the client side is that the password is incorrect). Rebooting the router fixes the problem.

How long have you waited before rebooting? What about rebooting the client instead?

How long have you waited before rebooting? What about rebooting the client instead?

Sometimes I don't notice that this has happened and the clients remain disconnected for hours until I notice and perform the reboot. Haven't tried rebooting the clients but that's not really a solution for me because I have perhaps a dozen of IoT devices connected to it. I can try next time if it would help with diagnostics though.

@Frantisek Brabec, I don't think you need to. If you've left it for hours and still no joy...

Why do you need to toggle that option though? Shouldn't devices be either allowed or not?

@Frantisek Brabec, I don't think you need to. If you've left it for hours and still no joy...

Why do you need to toggle that option though? Shouldn't devices be either allowed or not?

I have a device that I want to keep isolated from all my other devices. So I put it on the Guest Network and disable intranet access. However, occasionally, I do want to be able to access that device from my main network so I enable intranet access for those occasions (I am also open to advice on how to achieve this goal differently, I have another thread open here on this).

Depends partly on what this "device" actually is. Is it multi-NIC capable?

It's Nvidia Jetson Nano so it has both wifi and Ethernet. What did you have in mind? I suppose I could plug it into Ethernet for when I want access even though I was hoping to stay fully wireless.

You could put the wireless interface on the guest network and the wired interface on the intranet (and block internet access). This would allow you to access the device internally, and set some access rules to restrict which internal IPs it can get to (or wired direct to only 1 device, or to other multi-homed units, etc)

May not meet your requirements but worth considering.

You could put the wireless interface on the guest network and the wired interface on the intranet (and block internet access). This would allow you to access the device internally, and set some access rules to restrict which internal IPs it can get to (or wired direct to only 1 device, or to other multi-homed units, etc)

May not meet your requirements but worth considering.

The Nano is on a robot driving around so tethering it via an Ethernet cable is usually not feasible. It could be used when I need to bring it in for maintenance though. Thanks.

Possible to add a second wireless nic?

Router model? Firmware version?

I've not experienced that problem with the guest WiFi's "Access intranet". Whenever the router's WiFi is restarted (regardless of any changes) there are occasionally issues with certain clients trying to reconnect. But that's a fairly common problem.

Router model? Firmware version?

I've not experienced that problem with the guest WiFi's "Access intranet". Whenever the WiFi is restarted (regardless of any changes) there are occasionally issues with certain clients trying to reconnect. But that's a fairly common problem.

AC3100, Firmware Version:384.14

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!