What's new

TP-Link Archer C8 - signal not strong enough - high gain antenna options?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

router_roulette

New Around Here
I'm not sure that I need a repeater as moving my router about 8 feet provides adequite coverage (without moving it, coverage is insufficient) but moving it that 8 feet isn't a viable permanent spot for the router. So I was thinking maybe some high gain antennas might do the trick. Can anyone suggest some higher (than the stock ones) gain antennas for a TP-Link Archer C8 for use inside a home? I'm open to both DIY and commercial solutions. I've got a Hakko soldering iron and a small work bench in my basement. Any help or insights are much appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not sure that I need a repeater as moving my router about 8 feet provides adequite coverage (without moving it, coverage is insufficient) but moving it that 8 feet isn't a viable permanent spot for the router. So I was thinking maybe some high gain antennas might do the trick. Can anyone suggest some higher (than the stock ones) gain antennas for a TP-Link Archer C8 for use inside a home? I'm open to both DIY and commercial solutions. I've got a Hakko soldering iron and a small work bench in my basement. Any help or insights are much appreciated. Thanks!

High gain antennas on the AP rarely work, and never meet expectations - as the AP is only one side of the link, the other side is the client, and it doesn't change...

gain is relative...

Let's think on theory for a while. Gain antenna is usually directional. The higher the gain, the more directional.
Considering this fact, assuming you find a very good quality gain antenna you can use. Will this antenna fit your bill?
Don't you need to cover the whole house? Wouldn't it create a blind spots? On my limited experience with those so called high gain antennas, I really could not see improvement note worthy. What is your weakest signal strength in the house?

What really matters for wifi is your signal to noise ratio. Check the ratio for the client and also for the AP as they will both report different ratios from each other. This can help you determine what needs to be changed.

You mentioned moving the router 8ft is enough.
Take a look at why.
Are you going through less material?
Are you going past an electrical panel?
Are you moving out from under a metal tray?