What's new

TP-Link RE505X: No 802.11ax when used as access point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

negora

Occasional Visitor
Hi:

I decided to purchase a TP-Link RE505X. It's a WiFi 6 repeater, that also allows to be used as an access point. And that's just what I wanted. But, to my surprise, when I use it that way, it doesn't give any option to use the 802.11ax protocol.

In the 2.4 GHz band, it shows these options:
  • 802.11n only
  • 802.11b/g mixed
  • 802.11b/g/n mixed

In the 5 GHz band, only these:
  • 802.11ac only
  • 802.11n/ac mixed
  • 802.11a/n/ac mixed
Since I've no other 802.11ax AP, I can't try it as repeater, to check if it's able to repeat an AX signal or not. But it should. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a WiFi6 device.

I'm using the latest firmware version: 1.0.7 Build 20200604 Rel. 130850 (6985). I've asked in the community forums, but no one seems to know the reason.

I'm really shocked. Do you know if it's a hardware limitation?

Thank you.

Did you load latest firmware?
What link rate do you see with an AX device?

Did you load latest firmware?

Yes, it's the latest firmware. It came with the version 1.0.5 and then I decided to upgrade it.

What link rate do you see with an AX device?

Unfortunately, I can't test that because I still have not received my Intel AX200 card :-/ .

In the TP-Link community forum there are at least other 2 users with the same problem. Yesterday, a thread opened by one of them vanished mysteriously. In it, a member of TP-Link said that it was a bug in the GUI... But it's weird that such a small bug, with so critical consequences, hasn't been fixed yet.

Finally, I returned the RE505X and purchased a refurbished Netgear EAX80. I didn't get an answer, in time, from the support team. So I had to do that.

Despite that, when they answered, I explained my problem to them, with the hope of knowing what happened. But I'm still waiting for an answer again...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!