What's new

Traffic Analyzer - Trend Micro EULA & data collection!?!?!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smasher

Regular Contributor
One of the reasons I just bought an AC68U was because I wanted the Traffic Analyzer.

Apparently enabling this requires "that your information will be collected by Trend Micro through AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS and web history."

Disabling data-collection also disables the Traffic Analyzer.

I'm seriously thinking about returning this router, now. This data-collection is just too intrusive.

Are there any other routers and/or firmwares that can provide similar traffic analysis functionality without 3rd-party data collection?

what have you go to hide? They are not interested in you - period

"If you do not want Trend Micro to collect personal data, you must ensure that you disable the related features." - Privacy Policy for Trend Micro Products and Services (Trend Micro)

"If you would like to disable sharing your information with Trend Micro through the following functions, please click [Withdraw] below. However, please note that such features/functions may not work if you stop sharing your information with Trend Micro."

It doesn't say any of that on the front of the box o_O

"If you do not want Trend Micro to collect personal data, you must ensure that you disable the related features." - Privacy Policy for Trend Micro Products and Services (Trend Micro)

"If you would like to disable sharing your information with Trend Micro through the following functions, please click [Withdraw] below. However, please note that such features/functions may not work if you stop sharing your information with Trend Micro."

It doesn't say any of that on the front of the box o_O

It's just creepy and invasive.

This topic has been beaten to death on the forums, a quick search will find pages of discussion. You can't expect an accurate DPI database without Trend Micro collecting data to populate it. Almost every piece of software/OS collects telemetry data of some kind. If you are so opposed to this data being collected, disable the features.

Does the Traffic Analyzer log traffic from all clients? Or only the top 5 consumers of bandwidth?

I assume you musn't use: curtains, blinds, shower curtains or door locks of any kind because, "what have you got to hide?".
you assume wrong and totally dumb analogy

One of the reasons I just bought an AC68U was because I wanted the Traffic Analyzer.

Apparently enabling this requires "that your information will be collected by Trend Micro through AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS and web history."

I'm seriously thinking about returning this router, now. This data-collection is just too intrusive.

Are there any other routers and/or firmwares that can provide similar traffic analysis functionality without 3rd-party data collection?

Any device that needs to analyse the traffic/web pages obviously has to know what pages are being visited.

This is no different than any cloud anti virus or web page protection used in a browser, to know if a site is safe it has to be checked.

Traffic analysis is the same, if the Trend micro engine can't see the sites how can it do anything for you.

There is nothing "creepy" about this . All they do is check the page, nothing else is collected , AiProtection checks incoming packets for malicious content , nothing more.

READ the FAQ :

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008719#

If you knew the correct addresses you could block this by sending it to a null static route.

It is still collecting data regardless of trend micro being turned on or off. This whole setup ties into many features. Not limited to qos and traffic monitoring.
Hey I simply came to offer up a different suggestion, and not strike comments and criticism from the peanut gallery

The problem is spreading misinformation such as "It is still collecting data regardless if trend micro is turned off" which will confuse less tech savvy users. This is clearly not the case unless you have data suggesting otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.