What's new

'Traffic Monitor' not calculating properly even with acceleration off.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unsynaps

As the title says. When I go to daily traffic in 'QoS - Traffic Monitor' every day is reporting almost exactly the same data in Reception and Transmission.

Doing some digging around the cause for this is said to be NAT acceleration. Thing is acceleration is off.
It says: NAT Acceleration/Disable/NAT traffic is processed by CPU.

Any idea what else might be causing this issue?

Yes that is another area that has issues. I too have the transmit and receive numbers that line up very close on my 87u. This is an area that Asus needs to fix.

I didn't notice this problem till the latest firmware (380.57). I had to gut my old logs that contained 10 months of data to boot because the file would not load.

Anyhow I think I found the issue.

I said before that to my understanding any kind of acceleration had to be shut off for it to work. Looks like that is not the case. The only way I got it to log properly is if BOTH CTF and FA are ON. Then best I can tell logging works.

There is a huge catch though. The 380.57 firmware after a NVRAM reset has FA off. Why? Because for some silly reason Spanning-Tree Protocol is enabled. Something no home user should have to worry about. Shutting this off and restarting the router enabled FA. Another thing that forces FA off is any QoS. Mess with ANY QoS settings and restart the router and FA will shut off. Here is the worst part! If you accidentally mess with QoS settings FA will shut off and stay shut off even if you revert the QoS settings back! The only way I know of to fix it is a full NVRAM reset!

It seems shutting QoS off does not revert everything back. The first time you enable QoS the router has to do a full restart (2-3 min). But when you shut it off it only does a fast restart (30 seconds tops if that) which probably just restarts a few services. Thus FA never gets turned back on.

EDIT:
Well just tried to do a 'nvram set ctf_fa_mode=1' 'nvram commit' 'restart' and FA did not come back. Seems messing with QoS in any way ticked something else in nvram that is preventing FA to re-enable. Clearing the nvram then shutting off spanning tree seems to be the only way to fix it. Guess its time to reconfigure the router, AGAIN. With the threat of Comcast turning caps back on in my area I really need this working to get a baseline of what kind of bandwidth I am using since I cut the cord (cable TV) a month ago.

Last edited:
Hi unsynaps,
i tried your settings so NAT active and Spanning Tree off. This enabled CTF and FA. Didn't had to do any reset also i had QoS on back some time.
Anyway: It did what i already recognized in earlier version: The tracking is not working at all anymore. :( Realtime graph works fine, but already 24H display is showing only some really small KB/s amounts and i have a 100MB line... Going to daily statistics reveals that nothing is moving anymore. Loaded 1GB and the numbers stayed at there last value where NAT was disabled. Saying this disabling it made them moving again. Of course with the old bug, that download also counts as upload but at least download is fine and 24h graph is working again.

Does it really works for you? So you dowloaded 1GB and the DL shows 1GB and upload only a small amount due to ACK packages?

Yeah after the edits on my last reply I did the following:

Reset NVRAM
Logged back into the router and did the setup wizard (set the admin password and configure the 2.5 and 5.0 wireless points)
Went to Lan -> Switch Control (NAT Acceleration reporting only CTF on)
Disabled Spanning-Tree Protocol (Router should ask for and do a full restart)
Once it was back up headed to Lan -> Switch Control (Now Nat Acceleration said CTF and FA were on)
Proceed to set everything else back up (Just never touched anything in the Adaptive QoS section)

2 days now and the traffic monitor is reporting numbers that look 'normal'. I still need to do a better test with downloads and so forth but that will have to wait to the weekend... or maybe tomorrow if we get the snow the weather man says we are getting.

Hey agian, and thanks for checking that. If see the download grow the amount of downloaded file size i may should try to reset the router completly. Anyway a strange behavior ;)

Somehow in the last 12 hours FA somehow shut off (i never even logged into the router all day till like 5 min ago) and Traffic Monitor went back to its screwed up tracking.

Somehow in the last 12 hours FA somehow shut off (i never even logged into the router all day till like 5 min ago) and Traffic Monitor went back to its screwed up tracking.

Bad one :( So it seems to have to be fixed by Asus / Merlin :( Or is there any other possible solution around?