What's new

Traffic redirection to squid

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gc38398

New Around Here
I want to experiment with the squid proxy server and I want to redirect web traffic (just outgoing port 80) from one of my hosts (10.1.1.120) to squid (port 23002) on (10.0.3.40). It's not clear where to make this change.

It looks like I'd have to add a custom firewall rule to do this and you can't do it through the GUI. I already have SSH access to the router (AC3200), so getting in to change any files is easy enough.

Eventually, I'll try redirecting all web traffic to squid.

You'd normally set it in the proxy settings on the client PC. For example, in Windows it's: Internet options > Connections > LAN settings > Proxy server

You can do it through IPTABLES. There are tons of docs online how to do it. Did it with a linux box I had years ago.

The thing is so much is HTTPS now caching servers are kinda useless.

The thing is so much is HTTPS now caching servers are kinda useless.
Same here. We used to use squid in a very large organisation where I worked but stopped about 10 years ago. Even with HTTP so much page content is dynamically created nowadays that it just wasn't worth the effort (especially considering that each PC's browser has its own cache). The only scenario where I can imagine that it might make a difference is if your internet pipe is really small, like ADSL or mobile, when even a tiny saving could help.

I think squid can still be used with HTTPS but you would need to add your own self-signed squid CA to your browser's trusted cert list.