What's new

Trend Micro--opinions please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rcozzi

Occasional Visitor
I am just wondering how most people here feel about this product running, in my case on the RT-AC88U? I know there are purists who would disable it automatically. I just wanted to find out if it is considered a good addition to the router or just a waste of ram or cpu. I like it but if shutting it down may let the cpu run a little cooler (180 degrees) I would like to know.

The security add-ons are really good, especially the malicious site block. It's not just a gimmick, it's actually the same WRS system they use in their business suites.

I'm beginning to wish Asus hadn't included data on the cpu temperatures. Given the choice between security and umpteen degrees hotter, security would win hands down. So far as I know, no-one ever burnt out their router under normal (non-overclocking) conditions. And I suspect you couldn't even measure any drop in temperature if you turned Network Protection off.

I've run all the Network Protection options for a couple of years and it sometimes picks up things that OpenDNS or my own malicious-site-blocking DNS server don't pick up. So I see it as a valuable layer of security. And I also get an email to tell me it's been in action.

Definitely not a waste of RAM or cpu, assuming it has any measurable impact, which I doubt.

Forget CPU temps and just enjoy the service!

I love the features, a combination of openDNS(added ton of sites to block plus there own options) and using the networking protection in the asus router, keeps my network pretty safe from dodgy websites and such doesnt seem to have any impact on my GT-AC5300 performance wise or my internet speeds.

Attachments

• dns.JPG
    dns.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
I read that having security like this on the router is good. Laptops have security on them but what about smart Tv's, streaming devices stuff like that? There is no security but the router.

I read that having security like this on the router is good. Laptops have security on them but what about smart Tv's, streaming devices stuff like that? There is no security but the router.

Exactly. And as the majority of web traffic comes from mobile devices these days, these lack the kind of protection that desktops get through either a malware security suite or the browser's built-in malicious site database (such as Microsoft's own Smart Screen). Think for instance about those apps with in-app ads. What is preventing these ads from carrying a malicious payload?

TM is a brilliant extra layer of protection and I have seen no downside in load or temperatures on the router.

I wouldn't run without it , it has flagged/blocked sites that AV's have missed and it means anything connected to your network is covered, infected guest devices too.

If you are worried about temperatures buy a cheap laptop cooler and sit the router on that . My Ac3200 is cool 24/7 sitting on its CoolMaster.

+1 for the use of TM on our 88.

With a Family full of ipads, iphones, ipods, laptops, desktops, etc I use the TM on the router to provide an extra layer of protection.
I have not experienced any slow downs or temperature fluctuations, while the TM has been activated.

Trend Micro - worked with them - reliable partner... engine is pretty fast at what it does.

Better than McAffee... they're ok, just slow...

Best router based security system, I use the desktop software as well.

The malicious site options traffic i think goes throw tm dns, some site that are not malicious are blocked, i have disable this options, others are on.
Imho its add a little layer of security to the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!