What's new

TrendNet TEW-691GR (AKA 3 stream) Advice?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

test878

New Around Here
So I need to purchase a wireless router for a small apartment, My laptop has the new intel 6300 ultimate wifi card, which has three antenna. I found that the TEW-691GR supports 3 streams, and seemed to have good down speeds, and I can get a new one for $100. My laptop is the only device I'll be using wifi for, so should I buy it or look for something else?

Thanks

If the laptop WLAN card is accessible, I suggest inspecting the card to verify that three antenna leads are connected.

They are, its a sager, aka a built to order laptop. I've opened it before and have checked.

I really dont follow the networking side of computers though, so I'm curious if taking this route would be better than going for a router that did dual band and using 5ghz.

Last edited:
2.4 GHz vs 5 boils down to the need to escape interference from neighboring 2.4 GHz networks vs the pitfall of decreased signal (attenuation) that comes with today's 5 GHz devices.

Given that you live in an apartment, 5 GHz may yield better performance.

With 2.4GHz wireless N, always disable 40MHz channel bonding and you will have almost no problems. Top speed for 3 stream MIMO only is 225Mbps, which is still very impressive.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!