What's new

Trouble connecting to RT-AC68U 5GHz WiFi (using Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.376.48_1)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

manhas

New Around Here
I have a RT-AC68U router running Asuswrt-Merlin Asus3.0.0.4.376.48_1, clean install, and I'm having trouble connecting to the 5GHz WiFi.

The 5GHz WiFi is not always found, I need to toggle the WiFi on my computer on/off a couple of times before it's found and when it's found it takes 5-10 seconds before it appear in the list of networks. I get full reception and I have no connection issues when I'm connected to it. But as soon I need to reconnect (e.g. after awake from sleep, restart computer) the WiFi isn't found again.

I have 3 different MacBooks and all show the same behavior with the 5GHz WiFi, the 2.4GHz is always available immediately. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting next to the router, still having trouble finding it.

This issue started after I updated the firmware. Previously I was using an old Asus official firmware (don't remember which version) and I didn't have any issues then.

Anyone know if there are any settings I can change in the router to see if it helps or experienced something similar?

On the Wireless/Professional tab for 5GHz, try setting the Regulation Mode to 802.11d or 802.11d+h (try each one).

May not be applicable on your AC68, but worth a try.

I found today that my AC66 has 5G drop out issues on the higher channels.

If yours is in AUTO (and/or) is assigned one of the higher channels, then manually assign a lower double digit channel, and see if that helps the issue.

Other than the lower channels, the only triple digit channel that did not exhibit the switch on/off behavior was 165 if I recall.

Let us know what you find. InSSSIDer on my wife's 5G capable Samsung G3 allowed me to actually see the issue. I have 5G on a separate SSID, so it was plain to see the behavior of the faulty channels on my AC66.

Tried the different values for Regulation Mode and it works great now when it's set to 802.11d. Thanks for the help!

Similar issue .. RT-AC68U router on Merlin "RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.48_1".

I have 2 Android devices (Nexus 7 (2013) + Nexus 10)
Both devices do have 5GHz problems.
They just don´t see the 5GHz signal/ssid.

iPhone6 and MacBook Air devices are working fine, either d+h or d only !
Only the Android devices do have this problem.
I did factory reset .. etc.

Only this helps :

nvram set wl1_reg_mode=d
nvram commit && reboot

After reboot the 2 Androids connect directly - stable and fast.
Both devices are running on Android L. (5.0)

I was coming from stock Asus firmware, due to the fixed minidlna (inotify) I moved to Merlin.
On stock Asus I did not change the reg_mode value at all.

Mabye it´s a problem ? .. and will be fixed in one of the next Merlin releases ?

Similar issue .. RT-AC68U router on Merlin "RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.48_1".

Only this helps :

nvram set wl1_reg_mode=d
nvram commit && reboot

Can you do a little diagnostic work (I currently don't have Merlin's latest loaded) and share the results?

Code:
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit && reboot
after boot complete

Code:
nvram get wl1_reg_mode
What is the result here? should be 'off' in US, or 'h' in EU
You previously said you couldn't connect, verify that's still true
Goto gui and change Regulation mode to 802.11d and hit Apply

Code:
nvram get wl1_reg_mode
What is the result here, should be 'd'

Reboot the router from the gui, after boot complete

Code:
nvram get wl1_reg_mode
Should still be 'd'

Try and connect again....does it work now?

Can you do a little diagnostic work (I currently don't have Merlin's latest loaded) and share the results?

Code:
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit && reboot
after boot complete

Code:
nvram get wl1_reg_mode
What is the result here? should be 'off' in US, or 'h' in EU

As I live in EU and my country code is EU I got "h".
But still no 5GHz connections on Android devices. :(

Goto gui and change Regulation mode to 802.11d and hit Apply [CODE said:
nvram get wl1_reg_mode[/CODE]

Code:
nvram get wl1_reg_mode
Should still be 'd'

Yes, it´s "d" and I can connect, like written yesterday.
With the "d" value all devices are working "fine".
Sorry for being confusing. :)

My understanding of a good 5GHz connection is the option "h" ( which is "d" + "h" )

As I understand "h" is used for 5GHz Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) stuff etc.
Maybe my connection would be even better with the "h" option. (d + h)

I did not test "h_strict" at all.

With the "h" option I can not connect to my 2 Android devices anymore.
As on Stock Asus (3.0.0.4.376.3626) both are running fine with the "h" option (d+h).

Where comes the problem from ?

Thanks for your help.

What I was trying to determine based on your first post, is if for some reason a reboot is now required to change the Regulation mode (changing in the GUI only does a restart of the wireless). But I missed the result in this step which would have confirmed that....

------------------------------------------------------------
Goto gui and change Regulation mode to 802.11d and hit Apply

nvram get wl1_reg_mode

What happened here? Change without reboot

nvram get wl1_reg_modeShould still be 'd'

Yes, it´s "d" and I can connect, like written yesterday.
------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, maybe we can go about it a different way....what happens if you change the mode to '802.11d+h' in the gui, hit apply (does it work, previously not)....then reboot without changing anything...does is start working then?

Anyway, maybe we can go about it a different way....what happens if you change the mode to '802.11d+h' in the gui, hit apply (does it work, previously not)....then reboot without changing anything...does is start working then?

Changed the value to '802.11d+h' via the GUI and hit apply.
Android devices are getting disconnected .. iOS and other devices can connect. :(

Then I did reboot via the GUI.
10 minutes after reboot, still no connection for the Androids :(

Why only the Androids do have this problem ?
Switched back to '802.11d' and all devices are connected again.

And it seems that the 5GHz "handshake" takes longer now, for all devices.
For Mac,Windows and iOS too.

Strange issue !

Anyway .. Thanks for your help.

Interesting result....at least you were able to rule out the possibility of a reboot being required.

Did a little searching....maybe some solace that you are not alone.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...uble-connecting-to-5-ghz-wi-fi-access-points/

Hi John,

I have changed to your merlin-fork (AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-06j9527.trx) and now I can use the "h" option without any problems.
All our devices are connected now.
It seems the (5GHz) connections are more stable as on 376 merlin or on 376 stock asus.

Thanks for your help.

Just curious, why would one ever want to set the "Regulatory Mode" for 5ghz to anything other than the default "Off" setting?

Doesn't setting it to "off" tell the radio to stop broadcasting the country region setting code in the beacon send/respond signals?

Or is one reason for setting it to "d" or "d + h" that certain devices in different parts of the world (e.g., certain Android device sold, for example in Europe) expect to see either the 802.11d signal (or the 802.11h signal for 5ghz) in order to properly associate with the router? And without that signal being broadcast, the device just won't "see" or rather acknowledge the router's radio signal?

Last edited:
802.11h is required in Europe for DFS support (in recent firmwares, models with DFS support will actually default to 802.11h being enabled), and some Macs work better with 802.11d enabled.

802.11h is required in Europe for DFS support (in recent firmwares, models with DFS support will actually default to 802.11h being enabled), and some Macs work better with 802.11d enabled.

I am hitting this issue as well right now, and I am on latest Merlin 380.65_2, to make things even worse, there is no "regulation mode" field at all on the professional tab under wireless.
I tried command line, after set and commit then reboot, value goes back to off.

O well I guess I should downgrade to some older rev that some of you had success with.

Hi Guys, I'm currently on the official Firmware 3.0.0.4.380.7378. I resolved the 5Ghz band broadcasting issue by disabling the inclusion of the DFS channels under the "Wireless" -> "General" tab. Under channel controls, select auto and uncheck the "Auto select channel including DFS channels" checkbox. That should do the trick for now. I think the firmware bugged out at this area causing the 5Ghz band to stop broadcasting.

Hope this helps for all those who own the Asus AC-68U / AC-88U router.

Hi Guys, I'm currently on the official Firmware 3.0.0.4.380.7378. I resolved the 5Ghz band broadcasting issue by disabling the inclusion of the DFS channels under the "Wireless" -> "General" tab. Under channel controls, select auto and uncheck the "Auto select channel including DFS channels" checkbox. That should do the trick for now. I think the firmware bugged out at this area causing the 5Ghz band to stop broadcasting.

Hope this helps for all those who own the Asus AC-68U / AC-88U router.

Thanks a ton man, I just signed up just to thank you, this is the only one thing worked to make my 5Ghz to work after firmware restoration!

I have a RT-AC68U router running Asuswrt-Merlin Asus3.0.0.4.376.48_1, clean install, and I'm having trouble connecting to the 5GHz WiFi.

The 5GHz WiFi is not always found, I need to toggle the WiFi on my computer on/off a couple of times before it's found and when it's found it takes 5-10 seconds before it appear in the list of networks. I get full reception and I have no connection issues when I'm connected to it. But as soon I need to reconnect (e.g. after awake from sleep, restart computer) the WiFi isn't found again.

I have 3 different MacBooks and all show the same behavior with the 5GHz WiFi, the 2.4GHz is always available immediately. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting next to the router, still having trouble finding it.

This issue started after I updated the firmware. Previously I was using an old Asus official firmware (don't remember which version) and I didn't have any issues then.

Anyone know if there are any settings I can change in the router to see if it helps or experienced something similar?
I was having the same issue. I went through 3 routers and every time I would update a firmware (Asus stock or Merlin version), I would lose the 5GHz network. I finally just made it all one network SSID and let the devices decide which one to connect to. I assume it's working as I'm getting my full 300mbps connection now.

I am hitting this issue as well right now, and I am on latest Merlin 380.65_2, to make things even worse, there is no "regulation mode" field at all on the professional tab under wireless.
Same here! There is no "Regulation Mode" on my RT-AC68P running 384.4_2.

Same here! There is no "Regulation Mode" on my RT-AC68P running 384.4_2.

Does anyone have a solution to change the "regulatory mode" ? Via CLI and changing the nvram variable does not work, every time the wireless service is restarted the variable changes back to the original values.

I really need the 2.4GHz wireless to broadcast the country as per 802.11d, otherwise my MacBookPro & MacBookAir "think" I am in China as it finds out a cast device I have that is broadcasting China.

I was using Tomato in my AC68U, but recently jumped to pfSense and as my router will only be used as AP I decided to test Asus-Merlin.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!