What's new

Troubleshooting Help: Intermittent Wireless disconnects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rwnf

Occasional Visitor
Hey there.

I'm having trouble with one of my wireless clients, a Lenovo ThinkPad. I've got an ASUS n66u router that has worked successfully for just under a year now that it's connected to.

After making some changes to the router settings, including a complete reset and a change of firmware, the Lenovo frequently gets the error

"the default gateway is not available

reset the wireless network connection adapter"

To resolve this I can either disconnect/reconnect to the wireless router, or run troubleshooting. This solves it, but then it happens again within an hour.

I have multiple other wireless clients on this network, all Macs, and they do not have this issue.

I don't have much experience troubleshooting issues on the Windows side of things, but here's what I've done so far.

Restarted the computer, upgraded the drivers for the Intel Wireless n2200, uninstalled/reinstalled the n2200 driver.

On the router side I've powercycled it and also created a guest network for it to join to see if that would solve anything.

This all started when I had the Lenovo switch from an AirPort TimeCapsule that I was using for testing purposes. Before that it was connected to the ASUS without issue.

Do you have any other suggestions for troubleshooting I might perform?

Thank you in advance!

Try going in and removing the profile for the wireless network (I didn't see which version of windows you have so I can't give you the detailed process to find it).

Also, make sure there is no static IP address assigned to the network cards. If there isn't and you can't get it working, assign a static IP, subnet and gateway as well as DNS and try to connect. If it works then, there's an issue with your DHCP server.

Hey there, thanks for responding.

I'm running Windows 7 on that machine. Could you provide instructions on actually removing the profile? I'm not sure I've done this successfully.

Where do you control the IP of the network cards?

Thanks again!

Just tried these (apologies for the late response) and the issue came back immediately. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Its the Asus router. I have a 66 and a 68 and get continual drop outs on both.

Installed a WRT1900 and viola, no drop outs......

It doesn't do this on any other device, but I can say that I used another router and it didn't exhibit this behavior.

Dropping another $200 on a new router isn't too appealing, but thanks for the tip.

Hi,
B4 you made changes did that Lenovo laptop work OK? Do you know what WiFi card is in the Lenovo? Intel? Atheros? , etc. with latest driver? If it worked OK B4 the change maybe
you should retrace it starting from older settings(B4 change) Rule is you don't make multiple changes at once unless you know the changes will work for sure.

Hey there,

Thanks all for replying.

The Lenovo has worked just fine with this same router, albeit on a different firmware version. I'm currently on 3.41 Merlin.

The Lenovo has the Intel n2200 wifi (I believe that's it, I can double check).

I'll try resetting to factory settings etc. this weekend. Was hoping to avoid that step as I've done it so many times with this router.

Thanks again all for suggestions. This has been driving me nuts.

Over the weekend I reset the n66u to factory settings. It hasn't changed the behavior at all...

I'm currently testing it by sharing my connection from another computer to see if that changes the behavior.

Any other advice or troubleshooting steps are appreciated!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!