What's new

XT9 - Guest network issues when connected to wired node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

makeitallwork

Occasional Visitor
I set up my network using Asus XT9 (Router and wired node) and XD5 (1 wired node and 2 wireless nodes)

ISSUE: Devices connected to the guest network via a wired node can connect, but have a significant performance issues. (This only happens on the guest network. The main network in fine)
- Performance Issues: speedtest.net (web version) will not connect, can't download iOS apps on any Apple device, basic browsing and YouTube runs but Netflix does not. It's like the connection hangs (Sorry, this is all new to me so the troubleshooting is pretty basic....any recs on troubleshooting sites/apps?)

Today I reset all devices and decided to set up the XT9 and XT5 separately:
- the XD5 mesh network works fine - both the main and guest network work regardless of what the device connects to: router, wired node, wireless node
- the XT9 network has the issue: Devices connected to the guest network via a wired node can connect, but have significant performance issues (If I convert the wired node to a wireless node everything works fine)
- at first I thought this could be a cable issue, but I'm using cat6 cables, I tried two different cables and connections, and this issue does not happen with using the XD5 system on its own

I've been engaging with Asus support for a week, but I'm not making progress. Im a newbie, but this seems really odd. Any ideas?

The XT9 is certainly more capable than the other devices. I'd suggest you're doing something wrong. The XT9 in a different enclosure is what Asus is using in their "business" class line-up.

Thanks glens, but the issue happens when I am using the XD5s as part of the setup AND when I am ONLY using the XT9s.

I factory reset the 2 XT9s and re-setup the network with just the XT9 router and XT9 node. If the XT9 node is wired to the router then the issue exists. I tried two separate cables also and the issue still happens. The same cables do not cause the issue when I just setup the XD5s.

ISSUE: Devices connected to the guest network via a wired node can connect, but have a significant performance issues. (This only happens on the guest network. The main network in fine)

The only thing I can think is that the main network was setup via the app while the guest network was setup via the webUI. May start from scratch again and setup everything via the app.

So, I just reset both the XT9 router and XT9 node and did a clean setup via the app. The app doesn't allow you to add a AiMesh guest network so I did that in the UI.

Last time I only created the 5ghz-1 guest network. I thought maybe the 5ghz-2 guest network is needed. I created the 5ghz-2 guest network and 2ghz guest network both with AiMesh enable. The issue persists.

ISSUE: Devices connected to the guest network via a wired node can connect, but have a significant performance issues. (This only happens on the guest network. The main network in fine. The guest network via a wireless node also worked fine)

I feel like I am going crazy. Asus said they now have 3rd level support looking at this.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be using the app at all to configure the router.

Use a trusted computer and browser instead.

I, too, am suspicious of the app as yet another "work in progress" and on top of that, google has likely got its hooks in it for whatever (uninvasive, I'm sure) data mining. Has a system setup been performed without it?

I wouldn't be using the app at all to configure the router.

Use a trusted computer and browser instead.
I hear you. I've reset this router at least 5 times and at least once I did it via a computer browser only.

I spent a few hr testing today and get this.....the issue exists on Port 1 and Port 2 but Port 3 works perfectly. I replicated it 3 times using 2 different ethernet cables. The results are consistent.

Asus support so far has been useless. I can't for the life of me understand this.

So now the ISSUE is: Devices connected to the guest network via a wired node connected via port 1 or port 2 can connect, but have a significant performance issues. (This only happens on the guest network. The main network in fine. The guest network via a wireless node also worked fine)

So now the ISSUE is: Devices connected to the guest network via a wired node connected via port 1 or port 2 can connect, but have a significant performance issues. (This only happens on the guest network. The main network in fine. The guest network via a wireless node also worked fine)
I may be misunderstanding your description, but one of the LAN ports on the main router should be connected to the WAN port on the node, not a LAN port.

As a touchpoint, I'm running the router proper feeding a pair of XT8s in AP mode. One fed with 2.5Gb and one with 1Gb ethernet. (Only using one radio on the 1Gb-fed.)

No guest anything set.

Running iperf daemons on everything. Can communicate betwixt them at line-rate or limited by devices (~1.7 / 0.94 Gb) /except for/ 'tween the XT8s, which is abysmal. <300 Mb/s via ethernet. I'm running the latest stable Gnuton on them. I want to say it was ~940 last time I did the rounds but have no record of it, so who can say. At any rate it doesn't concern me as no other traffic they handle for me is thus affected. Except, that is, which I find typical of all three units (+GT-AX6000) where iperf to the (any) associated AP net's about half rate /to/ the AP-as-an-endpoint. Which also doesn't concern me too terribly, though could wish it differently.

I don't remember now just how or to what I thought this might pertain. Started this a couple shots and cigarettes, oh, plus a pizza, ago...

I may be misunderstanding your description, but one of the LAN ports on the main router should be connected to the WAN port on the node, not a LAN port.
Hey Colin...at this point its worth calling anything out, but I have the cables set up correctly:

- modem to WAN port of router
- LAN port 1 to WAN port of node1 (this setup introduces the issue)

This setup also has the issue:
- LAN port 2 to WAN port of node1 (this setup introduces the issue)

This does NOT have the issue:
- LAN port 3 to WAN port of node1 (works as expected)

Router and node are on the latest firmware, but just to try I manually re-installed the latest firmware on the router and node. However, this didnt change anything.

I removed the XT9s and switched over to the XD5 and everything was up and running and working in less than 30 minutes.

Asus support said the only option at this point was to send the XT9 system in for repair. I still have time to return them, but part of me wants to send them in for repair just to see what the root cause of the issue is.

I hadn't noted any connection-scheme issues as reported.

My meandering was relevant to ethernet connectivity, I guess. I'll be really surprised to hear of hardware issues, though that would be pleasant, I guess. Am rather expecting firmware (oops, didn't consider /that/) to be blamed.

For my issue, a hardware issue doesn't make sense since the main network works fine. But from a firmware perspective, it's odd the issue only exists for port 1 and 2 but NOT port 3.

This Asus model (Expert WiFi EBM68) has all the functionality I need, but looks like the same hardware. My experience with the XT9s has me a bit traumatized. Would I be setting myself up to give it a try?

I'm thinking all you'd be gaining is an optional wall mount. Hardware-wise they're piggybacked on the same FCC certification, am pretty sure.

thanks glens....I guess everyone here runs Merlin for Asus routers? I have never done that.

The reason, I say the Expert WiFi EBM68 has the functionality I want is because the software allows you to run up to 5 SSID and has better guest network management.

I set up my network using Asus XT9 (Router and wired node) and XD5 (1 wired node and 2 wireless nodes)

- Performance Issues: speedtest.net (web version) will not connect, can't download iOS apps on any Apple device, basic browsing and YouTube runs but Netflix does not. It's like the connection hangs (Sorry, this is all new to me so the troubleshooting is pretty basic....any recs on troubleshooting sites/apps?)

Today I reset all devices and decided to set up the XT9 and XT5 separately:
- the XD5 mesh network works fine - both the main and guest network work regardless of what the device connects to: router, wired node, wireless node
- the XT9 network has the issue: Devices connected to the guest network via a wired node can connect, but have significant performance issues (If I convert the wired node to a wireless node everything works fine)
- at first I thought this could be a cable issue, but I'm using cat6 cables, I tried two different cables and connections, and this issue does not happen with using the XD5 system on its own

I've been engaging with Asus support for a week, but I'm not making progress. Im a newbie, but this seems really odd. Any ideas?
I have the xt12 pro with 1 xt9 node. It has been frustrating setting up but for your issue it might be that the 3rd Ethernet port on the main router might be 2.5G while ports 1 and 2 are not. Looking at the documentation of the xt12 notes this difference. This would explain the difference in performance however even a standard port should provide more than abysmal performance. Hope this helps.