What's new

Trying Something Different

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Agree with Broken Hope, way, way too huge!

Thanks for the input. I have made some tweaks. But I'm not removing things just yet. Crikey, it's only been an hour....
certainly is a good idea , just need refining so it doesnt take up so much real estate

im still on the fence with regards to the text for the new logo though , the logo its self is fine even though its size means its tail is being chopped of a little

the text however , im not sure if its the font or the spacing or something but it just a bit lacking

SNBForums - instead perhaps SNB Forums without the color change

keep trying :)

gotta love us arm chair critics lol

im still on the fence with regards to the text for the new logo though , the logo its self is fine even though its size means its tail is being chopped of a little

the text however , im not sure if its the font or the spacing or something but it just a bit lacking

I love the logo (I already loved the previous one too!), I think the problem with the text is the fact that the font is so large and it's a fairly barebone font, it looks... I don't know how to describe it. Bland? Too blockish? Lost in all that large section? Maybe the text would need to be modified a bit, either by having a color shading, or surrounding the letters with some kind of outline, or some kind of background.

Someone with any actual visual skill (i.e. not me!) might be better able to describe it.

Someone with any actual visual skill (i.e. not me!) might be better able to describe it.

lol you said it better than me :) and pretty much spot on , just needs a bit of graphic flair and maybe reduce the font size and change the style a bit

i know get tim to run a contest and the winner gets a router :)

I love the logo (I already loved the previous one too!), I think the problem with the text is the fact that the font is so large and it's a fairly barebone font, it looks... I don't know how to describe it. Bland? Too blockish? Lost in all that large section? Maybe the text would need to be modified a bit, either by having a color shading, or surrounding the letters with some kind of outline, or some kind of background.

It's gotta be in Helvetica/Arial in lower case - all the edgy folks are doing that these days... Microsoft, Verizon, etc...

(just kidding...)

Constructive Feedback - maybe scale the logo down about 20 percent and see if that helps?

Smaller screens are making it a bit tough... see below:

(MacBook Air 11")

snb_small_display.png

MacBook Air 11"

MacBook Air 11 screen is 1366*768, which is the same screen X*Y dimensions as the most popular affordable laptop class - the sub-$400's from HP/Dell/Asus/Lenovo...

Something to consider perhaps...

Agree with the previous posts.....the news adder is too obtrusive. A good first step would be to get rid of the graphics and just have the runner with the news.

Agree with the previous posts.....the news adder is too obtrusive. A good first step would be to get rid of the graphics and just have the runner with the news.

I'm not saying it's bad, not in the slightest...

CSS and scaling is tough to make it work for different platforms - and change is always hard to take...

I'm not saying it's bad, not in the slightest...

CSS and scaling is tough to make it work for different platforms - and change is always hard to take...
Sorry, but from my point of view, it's bad.
The movement of such a large item is distracting and makes the viewing 'uncomfortable'. The forums aren't a retailer site where something like this can make sense if done right.

And change, just for changes sake, is not always a good thing.

The movement of such a large item is distracting and makes the viewing 'uncomfortable'. The forums aren't a retailer site where something like this can make sense if done right.

Change is always painful - remember the migration to XenForo?

Constructive feedback is always good - and change is inevitable...

TimHiggins has a good problem - while the SNBForums site was probably intended as an adjunct to the main site, SNBForums has become a site on it's own - with it's own audience - I appreciate what he's trying to do...

This is very, very bad for me too.

I am viewing the forum on a 27" monitor (1920x1200) and I have to scroll down to see the newest posts.

That banner or whatever you want to call it is too big. Period.

I like the news thing, though I think the implementation can be improved.

No offence but I hate the scrolling banner, its an eyesore when you are trying to read the forum with that flickering in your eyes, i scroll it off the screen.

Good idea, but ugly and obtrusive.

Slider is down for tweaking. But it will be back in some form.

Slider is down for tweaking. But it will be back in some form.

Thank you.

I hope that form will include 'smaller' and 'less obtrusive' in it's description. :)

Constructive Observation and Suggestion:

News/Articles/Reviews on the main site should also be part of the news block here as a "blurb"... with a see more link going back to the main site - could help drive more page views/impressions there...

Would also help drive some discussion here on the snbforum sub-site...

Thoughts?

@thiggins - I like what you're doing so far - some tweaking and tuning, but I'm seeing the potential upside to improve things across the board - very good work so far!

I like the latest change - for automation - is this pulling from the main site RSS Feed?

One more thing - how about a twitter block on the lower right hand corner quadrant to tie things all back together?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!