What's new

Trying to debug an ongoing wireless problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hagbard

Regular Contributor
For a few months now I've noticed choppy streaming videos. The latency to the router is good (1ms) and to my ISP (24ms), and speed test tells me I'm getting what I paid for (20/10).

I've replaced the routers three times, currently using an Asus n66u. I've just now replaced the wireless adapter on my computer but no change. I ran a program Lan Speed test, it says my downloads are less than half of my upload speed. When I check the app that comes with the adapter, it also shows Receive link speed as 150Mbps with the Transmit as 300Mbps.

I have lots of wireless devices around here (keyboard, mouse, headphones) wondering if that's causing interference?

Ideas?

Is the streaming local or from internet?

What is your wireless adapter (make and model number)?

What channel and bandwidth mode on the router? Have you tried changing channels?

The app link rates reported support the LAN speed test results.

Wireless devices definitely can cause interference in the 2.4 GHz band, as can cordless phones and microwave ovens. Does it make a difference if you shut them off?

Is the streaming local or from internet?

internet

What is your wireless adapter (make and model number)?

was a D-link DWA130 now a Edimax EW-7722UTn.

What channel and bandwidth mode on the router? Have you tried changing channels?

2.4ghz. Was on channel 6, just moved to 1 and got improvement, but the upload rate remains much higher. Overall, 300Mbps (300/162)

The app link rates reported support the LAN speed test results.

Wireless devices definitely can cause interference in the 2.4 GHz band, as can cordless phones and microwave ovens. Does it make a difference if you shut them off?

That will be my next step.

The Edimax is a N300 class adapter using a full 2x2 Ralink chip. There could be something in the adapter advanced properties that is causing the difference in
link rates. You might check there.

But if you are seeing 300 Mbps link rates that means you have 40MHz wide channels enabled. This hogs bandwidth and doesn't really give you that much more throughput.

The fact things got better when you changed channel points to interference from other networks or your own devices.

Set the router to 20MHz mode and try channels 1, 6 and 11 only to see which provides best performance. And shut off the other wireless devices and bring them back on one by one to see which one affects throughput the most.

The Edimax is a N300 class adapter using a full 2x2 Ralink chip. There could be something in the adapter advanced properties that is causing the difference in
link rates. You might check there.

Just put this adapter on a couple hours ago...and its working better than the D-link...but I'll have a look.

But if you are seeing 300 Mbps link rates that means you have 40MHz wide channels enabled. This hogs bandwidth and doesn't really give you that much more throughput.

The fact things got better when you changed channel points to interference from other networks or your own devices.

Set the router to 20MHz mode and try channels 1, 6 and 11 only to see which provides best performance. And shut off the other wireless devices and bring them back on one by one to see which one affects throughput the most.

I'll do that and get back (after my dentist appointment ;) ).

Disconnecting the wireless headphones, both wireless phones didn't do anything. Pulling the wireless adapter for the keyboard/mouse didn't effect signal quality. But I know if I move the mouse around when there's a video going, it will cause it to skip and break up.

Switching to 20Hhz dropped the overall rate to 144Mbps, but the thruput on both are more even now according to the Edimax app. Tried switching channels around, found 6 to be the strongest but the gap between transmit and receive is the greatest (144/78 instead of both being 144). Auto picks 11. Also checked the settings of the adapter, turned on "multimedia". Can't detect any change.

Let me give an example. I'm watching a youtube video, while still using the browser to go to other sites. As those sites load up, I get dropped frames in youtube. If I scroll on the other site, I also get dropped frames. I'm at at least on the right track that its a networking issue and not a video card issue?

Let me give an example. I'm watching a youtube video, while still using the browser to go to other sites. As those sites load up, I get dropped frames in youtube. If I scroll on the other site, I also get dropped frames. I'm at at least on the right track that its a networking issue and not a video card issue?
Ahh. On the same computer!
Could have a number of causes, including the browser itself and whatever plugin is handling video.

I don't have much else to suggest besides stop multitasking!

Woke up this morning, I could hardly get into the router. Checked the latency between the router and my computer, was running over 900ms. The channel was set to "auto", was on channel 11. Manually switched to 6, which doesn't appear occupied at the moment and got down to 1 and 2ms, with the occasional one over 1000ms. My WRT54g used to do 1ms consistently. I have this weird neighbouring network that coming in strong that Windows identifies as "Other network X".

Anyway, I'm trying to get this all set up so I can basically walk away from it and let it do its thing but I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Seems to be running hot btw, 50c in an icy cold basement. Over the past two years I've gone through two wireless n routers (both Linksys) I suspect died from heat. Makes me wonder if I should just be buying cheap routers and replacing them every year.

Hummm...just keeps getting worse with this router. A few times a day, everything slows down, I check the latency between my computer and the router, and find I'm getting 900ms or more again. I have to reboot the router to get things back to 1 or 2ms. Got a great deal on the router, hate to take it back but it looks like rubbish.

Ahh. On the same computer!
Could have a number of causes, including the browser itself and whatever plugin is handling video.

I don't have much else to suggest besides stop multitasking!

Yep!!!!! If I have multiple tabs opened on 1 browser (Firefox) and open a second browser with another batch of tabs and watch youtube, you'll get choppiness, lag and so on. It's inherent in the web browser.

Test this out, open 1 browser and stream you tube, and it should be fine. Open an additional browser with multiple tabs and watch youtube again, should see the choppiness and lag :D

Okay, thanks. Here is something I just noticed that's within my own wireless network. Since I've had this router, if I flip between "pages" on the router setup, it jumps around and doesn't load quickly (sometimes a few seconds). Okay, that's how its been. But now, I click on the pages and its instantaneous. Its all in the LAN, no internet involved. And I have yet to explain the daily latency problems which require a reboot.

Am I looking at a problem with the router or something causing interference that I haven't noticed? And if interference, why would a router reboot fix it?

Last edited:
Router choked due to high loads and remained that way until power cycle. Same thing happened to me on my previous router, the TP-Link WDR-4300 N900.

Do what I did and get a R7000. Put DD-WRT on it. Be sure to hard reset after the firmware change. Be sure to up the TX Power during setup.

Oh didn't see that you have a USB adaptor. USB2 is abysmally slow. Run that CAT5e.

Last edited:
hagbard, do you get this problem with other computers, preferably while not using a 2.4ghz wireless mouse?

i think your usb bus is saturated

I can't run cat 5e or any other ethernet. It has to be wireless, otherwise, I wouldn't have bought a higher end wireless router.

You guys are saying its the usb wireless adapter? If so, why does the latency go away when I reboot the router? Would the same happen if I pull the adapter and plug it back in? I'll try that next time it happens, but as it is, it hasn't happened again since and the latency has remained between 1ms and 2ms with the occasional one over 1000ms.

Just want to make sure its not a router issue while I still have time to return it.

Now that I think of it, a USB3 isn't going to offer any benefits in my system...I only have USB2. Maybe I should consider a computer update first. Is there really any benefit to going USB3 over USB2?

I've been looking at the Asus USB-AC53 which i can get for $33cdn (w/$10 rebate, which I won't use). Far cheaper than the other options.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!