What's new

Trying to decide what router to buy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scaner

Occasional Visitor
Due to problem with RT-AC56U described at http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ju...-i-not-mistaking-and-get-cycling-reboot.24094 looking for router with no so buggy bootloader as RT-AC56U. RT-AC66U has older platform and slowly, RT-AC68U just have another wifi chip but uses that same SDK (4708/9) so have the same problem with cycling rebooting after some firmware upgrades (problem and solution here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt...er-update-to-original-firmware-374-291.13628/ ). What about RT-AC87U or RT-AC3200 for Merlin firmware with often updating?

P.S. By the way if NVRAM will be cleared before every firmware upgrade through SSH-command (for example) does it make much less chance of such situaton?

Due to problem with RT-AC56U described at http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ju...-i-not-mistaking-and-get-cycling-reboot.24094 looking for router with no so buggy bootloader as RT-AC56U. RT-AC66U has older platform and slowly, RT-AC68U just have another wifi chip but uses that same SDK (4708/9) so have the same problem with cycling rebooting after some firmware upgrades (problem and solution here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt...er-update-to-original-firmware-374-291.13628/ ). What about RT-AC87U or RT-AC3200 for Merlin firmware with often updating?

P.S. By the way if NVRAM will be cleared before every firmware upgrade through SSH-command (for example) does it make much less chance of such situaton?

Absolutely never ever had a single problem with my RT-AC68U. By far the most stable and predictive router I have ever owned. What "cycling rebooting" are they talking about, I have no idea. Maybe that's because I ran official ASUS firmware for 5 minutes only... and that was when I had to turn it on after unboxing, and flash Merlin on it. Will never ever go back to official ASUS firmware, there is simply no reason.

Again, RT-AC68U is rock solid router, at least on my end. Not planning to replace it any time soon.

I'm under the impression all routers after AC1900 (68U) aren't as mature firmware-wise. Not Asus's fault technically, just the chipset makers rather rushed the products out to the market (i.e., that applies to all AC3200 routers).

Absolutely never ever had a single problem with my RT-AC68U. By far the most stable and predictive router I have ever owned. What "cycling rebooting" are they talking about, I have no idea. Maybe that's because I ran official ASUS firmware for 5 minutes only... and that was when I had to turn it on after unboxing, and flash Merlin on it. Will never ever go back to official ASUS firmware, there is simply no reason.

Again, RT-AC68U is rock solid router, at least on my end. Not planning to replace it any time soon.
As soon as I bought RT-AC56U I used Merlin firmwares but after some last update from one alpha version to another I get such situation when router rebooting after each 20-25 seconds and WPS/RESET button don`t work (I can`t recover it by using CFE). RT-AC56U and RT-AC68U very similar so I suppose that RT-AC68U has the same bootloader bug.

P.S. Do you clear NVRAM before every update? May be one reason of such proble is that I clear it only on important updates. And of course this float problem (I made about 50 firmware updates ("Merlin" to "Merlin")) before get in such situation.

I'm under the impression all routers after AC1900 (68U) aren't as mature firmware-wise. Not Asus's fault technically, just the chipset makers rather rushed the products out to the market (i.e., that applies to all AC3200 routers).
Thank you for information, I consider it.

P.S. Do you clear NVRAM before every update? May be one reason of such proble is that I clear it only on important updates. And of course this float problem (I made about 50 firmware updates ("Merlin" to "Merlin")) before get in such situation.

Not every time, only when Merlin suggest doing that in the doc file he supplies with his firmware updates. Also, I don't do NVRAM clear before the update. I believe you're supposed to do it after the update (when needed of course), and before you reconfigure your router settings.

Not every time, only when Merlin suggest doing that in the doc file he supplies with his firmware updates. Also, I don't do NVRAM clear before the update. I believe you're supposed to do it after the update (when needed of course), and before you reconfigure your router settings.
By the way I carried my RT-AC56U to customer service department and after two weeks they consider it as pluck-out and made refund without any question. Now I have RT-AC68U and try to understand how not to barge into such unpleasant situation (with cycling rebooting without any chance of getting emergency CFE through reset button or clear NVRAM with WPS on router start cause RT-AC68U is a big brother of RT-A56U).

By the way I carried my RT-AC56U to customer service department and after two weeks they consider it as pluck-out and made refund without any question. Now I have RT-AC68U and try to understand how not to barge into such unpleasant situation (with cycling rebooting without any chance of getting emergency CFE through reset button or clear NVRAM with WPS on router start cause RT-AC68U is a big brother of RT-A56U).

Again... not a single issue with this router on my end. This is by far the best router I have ever used, and I had quite few past couple of years (D-Link, Linksys routers, Netgear, Apple Airport Extreme etc.). I can't even remember when was the last time I had to reboot this thing other than after firmware upgrade, it serves me very well.

I am not having any problems with my AC3200 , running Merlin 378-52 , only time I reboot is for updates , other than that it runs 24/7 . Super fast , great range and transfer rates 1 gb in under 20 seconds . I don't use smart connect or the trend stuff , though they worked well when I tried them . 16 days with no reboots , wuld be longer if no FW updates

Again... not a single issue with this router on my end. This is by far the best router I have ever used, and I had quite few past couple of years (D-Link, Linksys routers, Netgear, Apple Airport Extreme etc.). I can't even remember when was the last time I had to reboot this thing other than after firmware upgrade, it serves me very well.
I have no questions about stability cause it works as another my Asus (for example I had Asus RT-N56U/65U with Padavan firmware without any troubles and of course I had many another router to compare with (D-Link Dir-300 B1 with Wive-NG RTNL (sfsstudio), Dir-615 E4 with dd-wrt, Dir-620 A1 with Wive-NG-RTNL (sfsstudio), TP-Link TL-WDR4300 with Openwrt by yohimba to see difference between stock and opensource firmware (that usually more stable and much more functional and safe). Only question about such unusual bricking after usual upgrading firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!