What's new

Two AC86U queries: Unable to connect to UI after a couple of days plus USB3.0 RAM usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smooth

Occasional Visitor
I’m using the latest Merlin Firmware on the RT-AC86U and the two issue have been bugging me…

1. I am unable to log into the Merlin UI every couple of days, I have to reboot the router to get access back.
I assume this is not normal?
I’m thinking of using the amtm script to schedule a restart every two days.

2. When using a 2TB NTFS drive set as a Samba share my RAM usage is always > 94%
Is this a common issue?
Will using USB in USB 2.0 slot with a swap file help atall?

Thanks Gazza

I have both issues also.

No quick fix to bring down ram other then get use to it.
The ram issue is on going. I have tryed to teminate all services and options to bring down ram usage without success. 90-95% is very common. Found that if you disconnect wan, ram still rises even faster. Have swap file set but wondering why? Only thing that brings down ram % is a speed test with spdmerlin but it only ends up using the swap file.

I do get flustered when I can not get to the GUI occasionally. You should not have to reboot to get access. I was able to SSH into it while the GUI is not available but was limited on the tools the GUI only has. Result --> Hard reset.

Hats off to Merlin to attempt the work he does (in the dark) as he is limited due to the closed source.

Anyone want to trade a new AC68U for my slightly used/tested working AC86U?
(Maybe Asus will see this and understand there are some unhappy customers looking elsewhere now.)

I have both issues also.

No quick fix to bring down ram other then get use to it.
The ram issue is on going. I have tryed to teminate all services and options to bring down ram usage without success. 90-95% is very common. Found that if you disconnect wan, ram still rises even faster. Have swap file set but wondering why? Only thing that brings down ram % is a speed test with spdmerlin but it only ends up using the swap file.

I do get flustered when I can not get to the GUI occasionally. You should not have to reboot to get access. I was able to SSH into it while the GUI is not available but was limited on the tools the GUI only has. Result --> Hard reset.

Hats off to Merlin to attempt the work he does (in the dark) as he is limited due to the closed source.

(Maybe Asus will see this and understand there are some unhappy customers looking elsewhere now.)

Check your available memory with "free -m".

Also you can try restarting the web server:

Code:
service restart_httpd

I wish I would have kept my 68 and never upgraded to the 86.

Thank you Merlin

I will definitely try this "service restart_httpd" command the next time the GUI crashed.

One other problem/dislike about the AC86U GUI I have is the front page "Client status". On the Ac68U it
will constantly show all connected clients. Not so on the AC86U. The slow static devices
(printers, monitoring pc, plc) will flash for a few seconds then be forever hidden until the next use
of these devices. I know I can ping and find/confirm them with no problem but simple display missing
causing me more work as the other people complain more now. Also I miss the ability to enable/disable and confirm they are not connected to the internet.

Is there a fix coming to correct this?
If not, what are some simple commands I can use to list all clients?
I do use 'arp' but it will also list dated old devices not relevant.

What commands do I use to confirm and enable/disable internet access for (hidden) clients?

Also I have had to disconnect all internet via WAN at times. I also manage many other components remotely, this would come in handy. What is the safe command to disable/enable wan in ssh on AC86U?

Thank you for your time in helping me out.
(I can see a possibly future list of useful commands (Posting) happening for your wiki.):rolleyes:

Marnik

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!