What's new

Two routers to broadcast Two different SSID on access points

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

samsungtv

New Around Here
Hello,

I am wondering if I can get advice on how to set this up.
I have a regular networking router with my ISP and I have another with an VPN installed on it.
I wish to connect these routers to broadcast two SSID on my access points. (one with regular internet from my ISP and another with VPN network)
What will be needed to make this happen, will a managed switch running vlans be required?

Thanks,

If you daisy-chain router B to router A, WAN to LAN respectively, and configure them w/ different local IP networks (e.g., 192.168.1.1/24 and 192.168.2.1/24), then you can configure the VPN on router B. Then anyone that connects to router B's SSID is automatically routed over the VPN, while anyone who connects to router A's SSID continues to use the ISP.

Note: clients of router B will also have access to router A's local network, which may or may NOT be desirable.

First, your access points must have VLAN support.
You will need a smart/managed switch supporting VLANs with a port for each access point, a port for each router and at least one port for the rest of your network.
If you need both networks on wired devices, they will also need to support VLANs and you will need ports for them on the smart switch.
Both Realtek and Intel wired network adapters have VLAN support for Windows.

Hello,

I am wondering if I can get advice on how to set this up.
I have a regular networking router with my ISP and I have another with an VPN installed on it.
I wish to connect these routers to broadcast two SSID on my access points. (one with regular internet from my ISP and another with VPN network)
What will be needed to make this happen, will a managed switch running vlans be required?

Thanks,
You cannot use the same AP for two different networks through two different ISP's. You can utilize other methods to route certain traffic to a certain connection or use one for failback if the other goes down.