What's new

Two Wi-Fi Routers to create 2 separate networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zotman

New Around Here
I have a "main" router (router #1) connected to a modem and thus the Internet. This router can be accesses by anyone in my small business. But I also do some sensitive office work that I would like to keep private and thought of attaching a second router.

Router #1 is a NightHawk x6s AC3000 and my second router is a NightHawk R6700V3 AC1750

Most of the reading talks about setting router #1's address to 192.168.1.1 and router #2's address to 192.168.2.1

My problem is that router #2 is an ExpressVPn router with an address of 192.168.132.1 and I am fearful of changing it's router address in that I would not be able to address its admin page via browser.

I read that I should set up each router one at a time and ultimately connecting router #1 to the modem and connecting router #2 LAN to LAN (or WAN)?

My concern is the configuration of and thus connection of router #2 to give me the privacy I am looking for

Connect router 2 WAN port to router 1 LAN port. Devices on router 2 (you) will be able to access devices on router 1 (the others), but not the other way around. Keep the current LAN IP of router 2 if you like, make sure it's different than the LAN IP of router 1. Your ExpressVPN is a client, so port forwarding on router 1 won't be needed.

(modem) -> WAN (Router 1, LAN IP 192.168.1.1) LAN -> WAN (router 2, LAN IP 192.168.132.1)

To make it more clear, router 1 gets external WAN IP from your ISP DHCP, router 2 gets internal WAN IP from router 1 DHCP. Don't confuse WAN and LAN IP on router 2. It will have 192.168.1.x WAN IP and 192.168.132.1 LAN IP.

Last edited: