What's new

uiScribe uiScribe - Custom System Log page for "scribed" logs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Either, run

/jffs/scripts/uiScribe

to confirm, or, simply go the GUI to check. ;)

hm it is not installing for me ... miss i something ?

upload_2019-6-10_21-34-46.png

scribe is installed

update: but on syslog page i see a new sections ...

Last edited:
I hid these as I wasn't sure what impact, if any, the settings had when running through syslog-ng. @cmkelley do you know if the settings still apply?
I don't know for sure. In theory all logs regardless of level are passed to the logger (syslog-ng or syslog) which decides based on its configuration what to log where. The configuration can use the log level to decide what to put where.

But I don't know if the custom Asus kernel filters by log level before sending logs to the logger.

I don't know for sure. In theory all logs regardless of level are passed to the logger (syslog-ng or syslog) which decides based on its configuration what to log where. The configuration can use the log level to decide what to put where.

But I don't know if the custom Asus kernel filters by log level before sending logs to the logger.
I can re-expose the logger settings if anyone wants to give it a go?

now working fine.
i have diversion installed, but no section on gui.

Code:
/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw
.githubusercontent.com/jackyaz/uiScribe/master/uiScribe.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/ui
Scribe" && chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/uiScribe && /jffs/scripts/uiScribe install
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 12804  100 12804    0     0  18857      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 30853
uiScribe: Welcome to uiScribe v0.2.0, a script by JackYaz

uiScribe: Checking your router meets the requirements for uiScribe

uiScribe: uiScribe installed successfully!

BETA
v0.2.0

Updated 2019-06-10

Customise the System Log page to show log files created by Scribe (syslog-ng). Requires Scribe by @cmkelley
Support for Scribe can be found here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/scribe-syslog-ng-and-logrotate-installer.55853/

uiScribe is free to use under the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPL 3.0).

This project is hosted on GitHub

Love the script and want to support future development? Any and all donations gratefully received! PayPal donation

7b836b07d5.png

Supported Models
Models
All modes supported by Asuswrt-Merlin. Models confirmed to work are below:
  • RT-AC86U
Firmware versions
You must be running firmware no older than:
Installation
Using your preferred SSH client/terminal, copy and paste the following command, then press Enter:
Code:
/usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jackyaz/uiScribe/master/uiScribe.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/uiScribe" && chmod 0755 /jffs/scripts/uiScribe && /jffs/scripts/uiScribe install

Usage
To launch the uiScribe menu after installation, use:
Code:
uiScribe

If this does not work, you will need to use the full path:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/uiScribe
Updating
Launch uiScribe and select option u , then run uiScribe
Ya! Another useful script! I was starting to worry about you. I was missing our daily @Jack Yaz scripts!

IT's ALIVE!
and working on my RT-AC5300
upload_2019-6-10_17-28-49.png

I can imagine how the page would look if I had 30 or more filters......

@Jack Yaz

You are slowly taking over the GUI..

What is going to be the next adventure... ScriMerlin with a database with all the possible examlpes writable to /opt for ease of use ?

Last edited:
1. I think it is a safe assumption that all logs would be pointed to /opt/var/log. I don't know why some of these blocks are referring to /var/log.
2. It is not a safe assumption that all logs end in .log, but I think it is a good practice to enforce. Messages, for example, doesn't end in .log, and there is nothing that guides someone to define a destination file as including it (I have a file called startupmessages, for example, which is the syslog.log file up to killing syslogd and starting syslog-ng). I'm assuming this way you can ignore the rotated logs, compressed or not. We also have the dnsmasq.log created by diversion; I have a collectd.log file.
3. I do not have a number of other logs that are not relevant to me: the wlcevent log, the crash log or netdata logs.
0.3.0 should handle this better (hopefully)

0.3.0 is out, uiScribe should now handle those with non .log or /opt/var/log file destinations
is this apart of the package now
upload_2019-6-10_17-56-36.png

i think i will let the professionals test those buttons.. i will keep them as the do not press buttons.....

IT's ALIVE!
and working on my RT-AC5300
View attachment 18163

I can imagine how the page would look if I had 30 or more filters......

@Jack Yaz

You are slowly taking over the GUI..

What is going to be the next adventure... ScriMerlin with a database with all the possible examlpes writable to /opt for ease of use ?
@L&LD
I made myself JFFS backups with install script that has each applicable filter I may ever use-(pending for additions if i decide). so if i was to ever redo my whole package setup i can just SH everything into existence.
Though I would gladly try any script that has an archive of filters packaged into one.

0.3.0 is out, uiScribe should now handle those with non .log or /opt/var/log file destinations

A small request for v1.0. :)

Could the sections be shown minimized when the page is selected? :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!