What's new

uiScribe uiScribe - Custom System Log page for "scribed" logs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wouldn't dream of it. Editing the logfiles themselves would play havoc with anyone forwarding them on to another log system, as well as viewing them in plain text viewers/editors!
It doesn't look easy to do, textareas weren't designed for formatting text. I'm not going to spend any more time on it, the half hour I spent today was enough to convince me it's not worth the effort.

I just have an question i have asus rt-ac86u and i try to install the uiscribe but it shows me " uiscribe installation failed scribe is not installed " and i try the using the code installing and it say requirements for uiscribe not met can you help me find what am doing wrong am new this this.
i have installed diversion lite , uidivstats , and yazfi .

I just have an question i have asus rt-ac86u and i try to install the uiscribe but it shows me " uiscribe installation failed scribe is not installed " and i try the using the code installing and it say requirements for uiscribe not met can you help me find what am doing wrong am new this this.
i have installed diversion lite , uidivstats , and yazfi .
Install scribe, that is the error "failed scribe is not installed "
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/scribe-syslog-ng-and-logrotate-installer.55853/

@Jack Yaz
Awesome concept and makes things pretty easy

1. Ui not showing diversion
2. One option showing at first option /dev/null

Can't figure out what's wrong here, system log, etc showing right

Tried
1. Reinstall scribe
2. Clear preferred list etc
But to no avail

@Jack Yaz
Awesome concept and makes things pretty easy

1. Ui not showing diversion
2. One option showing at first option /dev/null

Can't figure out what's wrong here, system log, etc showing right

Tried
1. Reinstall scribe
2. Clear preferred list etc
But to no avail
WRT #1, is it not showing the diversion log at all, or is it empty? A week's worth of diversion logs for me is maybe 40 or 50 lines. It may not have had anything to log yet.

WRT #2, that's from an old version of the blankmsg filter, I (stupidly) sent blank messages to /dev/null instead of just dropping them. All I can say is, it seemed like a good idea at the time. If you update filters and accept the changes to the blankmsg filter, it will get rid of that.

WRT #1, is it not showing the diversion log at all, or is it empty? A week's worth of diversion logs for me is maybe 40 or 50 lines. It may not have had anything to log yet.

WRT #2, that's from an old version of the blankmsg filter, I (stupidly) sent blank messages to /dev/null instead of just dropping them. All I can say is, it seemed like a good idea at the time. If you update filters and accept the changes to the blankmsg filter, it will get rid of that.
Updating filters resolved the null log issue, you're a super star

I've the same issue as immi803. There is a Null category in 2nd place with only a "Log goes here" message. There is no Diversion in log categories, but I see at least 6 Diversion log entries in System messages. I installed scribe and uiscribe yesterday. I've already updated the filters as mentioned earlier, but nothing changed. Skynet log works, separate category exists and logs goes there.
Any help would be appreciated.

After you updated the filters, you should run uiscribe to reset the logs to show.

After you updated the filters, you should run uiscribe to reset the logs to show.
Thank you for help! It was easy. :) No more Null in log categories.

But Diversion category still missing despite of I have log entries from Diversion in System messages (see below). How could I fix it?

Apr 21 02:00:13 RT-AC56U Diversion: restarted Dnsmasq to apply settings
Apr 21 02:01:08 RT-AC56U Diversion: updated Custom blocking list from 3 hosts files, 58584 domains are now blocked
Apr 21 02:01:11 RT-AC56U Diversion: updated and reset weekly ads counter: 1,462,155 total, 16,948 this week, 15 new since last count
Apr 21 02:01:12 RT-AC56U Diversion: reset dnsmasq log files (weekly cron job)

In the /opt/share/syslog-ng/examples directory there is a diversions config file. Move that to /opt/etc/syslog-ng.d directory:
Code:
# log all diversion and uiDivStats logs to diversion.log
destination d_diversion {
    file("/opt/var/log/diversion.log");
};
filter f_diversion {
    program("Diversion") or
    program("uiDivStats");
};
log {
    source(src);
    filter(f_diversion);
    destination(d_diversion);
    flags(final);
};
#eof

In the /opt/share/syslog-ng/examples directory there is a diversions config file. Move that to /opt/etc/syslog-ng.d directory:
Code:
# log all diversion and uiDivStats logs to diversion.log
destination d_diversion {
    file("/opt/var/log/diversion.log");
};
filter f_diversion {
    program("Diversion") or
    program("uiDivStats");
};
log {
    source(src);
    filter(f_diversion);
    destination(d_diversion);
    flags(final);
};
#eof

Thank you! It works like a charm.

Oh-and then rerun uiScribe for it to be on the system log page.

Like scribe and the uiScribe very much - makes things easier to understand.
As a newbee, don't want to SCP/SSH too much :rolleyes:, but I actually miss the Save button:

upload_2020-4-24_13-50-31.png

Why: sometime I find logs interesting the search quickly with a one button click and use a txt-editor for some lines of interest. Why is it disabled if Systemlog is enhaned by Scribe?

Like scribe and the uiScribe very much - makes things easier to understand.
As a newbee, don't want to SCP/SSH too much :rolleyes:, but I actually miss the Save button:

View attachment 23017

Why: sometime I find logs interesting the search quickly with a one button click and use a txt-editor for some lines of interest. Why is it disabled if Systemlog is enhaned by Scribe?
Separate log files for each, the save button would reference a non-existent file. Adding a Save button for uiScribe is on the to-do

Personally, I use WinSCP and Notepad ++ when I want to look at logs in more detail, and back farther.

Personally, I use WinSCP and Notepad ++ when I want to look at logs in more detail, and back farther.
Thanks, change from Putty to WinSCP (windows user) and LOVE it.

Thanks, change from Putty to WinSCP (windows user) and LOVE it.

For an all-in-one solution [free for non-commercial use] ... try MobaXterm - go get it ... then choose the Free version from the download page.

For an all-in-one solution [free for non-commercial use] ... try MobaXterm - go get it ... then choose the Free version from the download page.
Cool: Which version: portable or installer edition (could not found any documentation on that)?
Edit: found it: will take the installer edition and test it :)
no need for stick version.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!