What's new

Unable to Save Changes in Administration > System Page in 384.18

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NivekTheSizable

Occasional Visitor
I think this is a new bug in the web interface in 384.18. On this version on the RT-AC3100, I was trying to change the scheduled reboots (Date to Reboot) setting on the Administration > System page. This is the only setting I am currently trying to change on this page. Upon clicking the Apply button, it throws this error even though I'm neither trying to create a new admin account nor trying to change the existing password:

This account already exists. Please enter a different name.

It appears that this version is making the "Change the router login password" section of the page as required, even though there are no changes being applied. The issue does not appear to be browser-specific (tried current versions of Firefox, Chrome and Safari with same result) but rather with the router web page.

I am 99% certain this was not an issue in 384.17.

Anyone else seeing this?

Make sure you don't have a browser addon/password manager that is trying to autofill the userid/password fields.
I know you tried different browsers, but a lot of folks use 'common' addons.

Make sure you don't have a browser addon/password manager that is trying to autofill the userid/password fields.
I know you tried different browsers, but a lot of folks use 'common' addons.
Nope, that isn't an issue here. Even if I manually clear the admin username field at the top of the page, it still won't save, the error being:
Username cannot be blank.

The problem here seems to be that it's requiring fields that haven't changed in order to apply changes.

You've got illegal characters in your Username (they might not have been before, but they are now). I had to remove the underscores "_" in my Username with this latest upgrade. My Username with underscores was never a problem before. Perhaps characters other than underscore are now illegal too.

You've got illegal characters in your Username (they might not have been before, but they are now). I had to remove the underscores "_" in my Username with this latest upgrade. My Username with underscores was never a problem before. Perhaps characters other than underscore are now illegal too.
Thanks, but that also doesn't seem to be the issue. The username is the default "admin" and I have not changed it (nor am I trying to).

Thanks, but that also doesn't seem to be the issue. The username is the default "admin" and I have not changed it (nor am I trying to).
Bummer. Good luck.

This account already exists. Please enter a different name.
That message seems to be posted if it detects a conflict with a userid set up for one of the USB services or the admin id isn't the first one on the USB access list. Maybe check and/or redo any permissions you added under samba or ftp

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!