What's new

Unable to see/access SAMBA on PC - Asus RT-AX82U with usb flashdrive connected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASUS-RT-AX82U

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone,

I have connected a 32gb Lexar USB 3.0 flash drive (formatted to NTFS) to my Asus RT-AX82U. I appreciate it may not be the fastest option, but it's enough for me needs. However I'm having problems seeing the drive on my PC via my Windows 11 network discovery. It's instead shown as a media drive and if I double-click it, it simply loads up the Asus router's homepage. Also I have no problems with all devices (mobiles, pc and smart TVs) being able to access the files/movies via their media players such as VLC, but I want to be able to see it like a normal drive on my PC so that I can easily transfer files from/to it. I have already created a username/password on the SAMBA option, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

1648394404540.png
1648395120482.png

1648393992969.png
1648393952407.png
1648393913634.png

I would be grateful if anyone can assist with this.

Can you access the shares if you use the routers IP address from windows explorer? i.e. \\192.168.1.1

When you expand the drive (in the GUI), do the right users have read/write permissions?

Is network discovery turned on in windows? Is your network on windows set as private (firewall issue)?

I don't see a setting in the GUI for which SMB version to use, so I am assuming smb2.

Can you access the shares if you use the routers IP address from windows explorer? i.e. \\192.168.1.1

When you expand the drive (in the GUI), do the right users have read/write permissions?

Is network discovery turned on in windows? Is your network on windows set as private (firewall issue)?

I don't see a setting in the GUI for which SMB version to use, so I am assuming smb2.

Hello Jeffery. Thanks for your help.

No I can't access the shares using my router's app in windows explorer.
Yes I have given R/W access to a Test folder:
1648396375503.png

Yes Network discovery is on. I'm not sure how to check if the network is set to private or whether it's a firewall issue.

Apologies, I am unsure what you mean by SMB or SMB2 - How do I check this?

EDIT: I have just noticed that the USB drive has actually appeared under THIS PC > NETWORK LOCATIONS:
1648396781235.png

But it's read-only.

Last edited:
SMBv2 is not available in stock Asus firmware (unless they've changed that), that's only available in Merlin's firmware. Windows requires SMBv2.

Hello again Colin and thank you for your reply.

Just to update you regarding my other thread - so far no issues with rebooting as yet, but will let you know if any issues occur.

Your advice to enable SMB1 has really helped as I can now see the drive and TEST folder on the network. For test purposes, I have only used the username "admin" and a 12345 password. However, I keep getting an "Access is denied" when I try to login.

1648398217438.png

Progress then. I would then follow the link Colin provided and turn on smb1 support in Windows and see if that helps.

Just confirming, you did create the user and password on the router?

I see Asus-administrator and asus as users. No admin.
OMG, How stupid am I? Yes, you're right, I've been entering the wrong username. Sorry. I have now tried to access the network again to correct this. However it has totally disappeared and I can't see it anymore, so I'm not sure how to bring it back.

Rebooting the PC is usually the simplest way.
Yes, that's the first thing I did. I've now also rebooted the router, but it's not appearing on the network anymore. However the black icon, as shown in post #03 is coming up under THIS PC > NETWORK LOCATIONS and is accessible, although it's read-only. Also under networks, the usb drive is showing as Media Devices and Network Infrastructure.

1648400925818.png
1648400868677.png

I've always found network discovery in home networks to be flaky as you know what. A lot of factors at play. Even with my AC86U, with Merlin and set to force as master browser, the Router's shares will often disappear only to function again when I restart smbd on the router. Accessing the routers shares by \\192.168.50.1 has been a solid means for me.

Edit: wrong back slash

I've always found network discovery in home networks to be flaky as you know what. A lot of factors at play. Even with my AC86U, with Merlin and set to force as master browser, the Router's shares will often disappear only to function again when I restart smbd on the router. Accessing the routers shares by \\192.168.50.1 has been a solid means for me.

Edit: wrong back slash
Oh your a star! This works great for me. I've mapped it to my Z: drive. I will test it and let you know how I get on. Thanks so much Jeffery and Colin.

No politics, please. :)

HA! I love watching home network devices pretend to get along with each other. Most of my network discoveries issues were solved once I realized that my Daughter's Win10 Pro machine and my Router were constantly seizing the master browser function from each other. Why her computer - beats me. I settled the political dispute with a click on the "disable" button is services :)

Glad you got things sorted @ASUS-RT-AX82U

No politics, please. :)
HA! I love watching home network devices pretend to get along with each other. Most of my network discoveries issues were solved once I realized that my Daughter's Win10 Pro machine and my Router were constantly seizing the master browser function from each other. Why her computer - beats me. I settled the political dispute with a click on the "disable" button is services :)

Glad you got things sorted @ASUS-RT-AX82U
:eek::D:D:p

Okay, firstly thank you for helping me. All seems well on the PC side now, however since setting up a username/password, VLC on my android tv is now unable to access the device media. I entered 'asus' as my login and then the password, but it keeps asking again and again. Am I supposed to enter the username as something else? FYI, when I had no password (guest) there were no issues at all.

I don't use VLC on Android but maybe it's this: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=166879

Open VLC on your mobile (android) and goto local network.
Try to access on Samba share. It will ask for the password.
The message title will be
SMBv1 authentication required.

DO NOT ENTER THE USERNAME AND PASSWORD.
it is asking for SMBv1 authentication required
Press BACK button. After pressing back button it will ask for SMB authentication required.
So now its not asking for SMBv1. It's asking for SMB username and password.
Now enter username and password.

You're done.
VLC will remeber that password and you don't need to enter again and again.

He is going to have an issue then. As pointed out, stock firmware is SMBv1 only right? Not to mention you can't edit the smb.conf file on stock firmware.

The SMB protocol version incompatible issue would have been my first guess.