What's new

Unbound - Authoritative Recursive Caching DNS Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been following this project for a while now and it's a shame that the main protagonists have their differences.
Still I would like to install Unbound but am lost on the options, both in the installer and which to set in the router itself.
Can someone point me to a good post explaining things?
I'd like to use it as intended, ad-blocking will be handled by Diversion.

I have been following this project for a while now and it's a shame that the main protagonists have their differences.
Still I would like to install Unbound but am lost on the options, both in the installer and which to set in the router itself.
Can someone point me to a good post explaining things?
I'd like to use it as intended, ad-blocking will be handled by Diversion.
go to first page of this thread - enter the command to install from terminal and follow prompts - its very easy and guides you through it

go to first page of this thread - enter the command to install from terminal and follow prompts - its very easy and guides you through it
Thanks for the input, I already did this before but I would like to know which options to choose like Stubby and stuff and more importantly the "why".

@rgnldo

You are again guessing which unbound parameters might be 'correct', but sneakily using the community as unwittingly exposed guinea pigs without the users' permission - suppose your tweaks are not valid on the target router?

e.g.

View attachment 21153

i.e. depending on when someone installs unbound, they may actually have any of the following:
Code:
edns-buffer-size: 1472
edns-buffer-size: 1232
incoming-num-tcp: 1000
incoming-num-tcp: 600
outgoing-num-tcp: 100
Most do not understand the consequences nor indeed what the actual parameters mean, so you need to have a sense of responsibility and open disclosure.

You are abusing the trust of users that wish to use my script to install unbound

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Add the rqeuested version header in 'unbound.conf' hosted on your GitHub together with a description of the change, so the script can advise if it may be necessary to review the changes you are testing.

...or do you still think your attitude is acceptable?

Yes I think you have a legitimate case here Martineau - The last update of Unbound I did this morning after ugrading entware left me with an unbound.conf WITHOUT ANY edns-buffer-size: parameter. Before this upgrade it was set at 1472. I do think it requires at least some explanation as to why these values keep changing adhoc from one install to another

Last edited:
I would like to thank everyone involved with this project. A lot of time, effort and technical skills have been used here, WELL above my knowledge.

On a sadder note, I am sorry to here that there appears to be a ‘falling out’ over things. As a bystander, I don’t know what is behind it, but I have learnt in life to take a step back and let the dust settle before ‘jumping in with both feet’ and saying/doing something that I regret later. It would be a shame if this project was dropped.

Again, thanks to everyone.

As a quick fix, I have forked and reverted the deletion of the files here: https://github.com/jackyaz/Unbound-Asuswrt-Merlin
A quick sed on @Martineau installer to point to the fork will get people back up and running

I had just started looking into a WebUI for Unbound's stats...
I organized the post as it was from the beginning. Installation is intuitive and simple. If you chose to continue, feel free, you are in good hands.

Soon then as Singapore of the North Sea.

;):eek::rolleyes:
The Swiss people elected twice (or maybe more times) not to join. We are the tiny grey island in the middle of the EU.

I ended up gng back to the built in DoT and NTP options provided by Merlin FW. I'm glad we have options but feel the built in options work flawlessly. I see nextdns and unbound can create issues if people start modifying the scripts and can easily get out of hand. Specifically for me since I like to set and forget!!!

Unbound should also be a simple set-and-forget service. There isn’t much to configure and adjust. Don’t lose interest yet. I haven’t agreed with the choices to add ad-blocking and Stubby integration because those problems are already solved on Merlin’s firmware very well.

I’m very happy with my minimal config for Unbound and I hope that Martineau will import all the files (that Jack rescued) into his own repo and be the maintainer going forward. The rest of us can suggest changes or make pull requests, but there needs to be tight version control as Martineau has pleaded for at least twice.

I appreciate everyone’s contributions. We’ve come a long way. And with the latest Unbound now released, we’re much more secure. :)

Unbound should also be a simple set-and-forget service. There isn’t much to configure and adjust. Don’t lose interest yet. I haven’t agreed with the choices to add ad-blocking and Stubby integration because those problems are already solved on Merlin’s firmware very well.

I’m very happy with my minimal config for Unbound and I hope that Martineau will import all the files (that Jack rescued) into his own repo and be the maintainer going forward. The rest of us can suggest changes or make pull requests, but there needs to be tight version control as Martineau has pleaded for at least twice.

I appreciate everyone’s contributions. We’ve come a long way. And with the latest Unbound now released, we’re much more secure. :)

Full approval for this contribution as a whole! Thank you, Dave.

:)

“there needs to be tight version control as Martineau has pleaded for at least twice”

I agree, this is the issue that needs to be resolved before this will be successful. I also agree that all I want Unbound for is recursive DNS.

So, if I wanted to give Unbound another shot, what would be the recommended installation process? I, like I think a lot of other forum members, have gotten real confused with all this “back and forth” installation/configurations posted in this thread. o_O

Hopefully, we can get to the point where @Martineau with Jack Yaz's gracious offer to help can maintain a beta or release quality fork for those that want ease of install and things just to work in well-documented ways and @rgnldo, if he so desires, can maintain a more bleeding edge fork that more quickly adjust to test the limits of what unbound is capable of on Merlin. Both sides of this issue have value and can help keep this a long-lasting option for Merlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!