What's new

Unique problem? Conveniently share Mobile Data - can't find a solution.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

u414382

New Around Here
I have googled all sorts of alternatives and havent found an answer. However i did come across small net builders and learned alot! theres some clever people on here so here goes my first ever post....

The problem

I live in the country and only get a 2megabit adsl link. But i have an unlimited mobile data Three contract on my Samsung galaxy s4 and can comfortably achieve 10x higher speeds either over a personal hotspot or over usb tethering. This works fine when i consciously want to do it (e.g. battlefiedl 4 updates!!) as i go to the trouble of positioning my pc in wifi range of the s4 which i place at the window to achieve 4 bar HSPDA+.

I have purchased Connectify which again with preparation allows me to use both adsl and mobile data simultaneously and get a bit shorter downloads.

The Question

To massively improve convenience i want to be able to walk in my house, place the s4 on a charger at the window, activate the wireless hotspot and allow all devices on on my ethernet/powerline lan to then share the mobile data connection and use selectable dual internet access rom any device on the lan.

I throught i might be able to use an old modem/router to wirelessly connect to the s4 and with an ethernet cable from router to the lan, then share but this doesnt seem to work.

I also tried connectify hotspot which got closer and would let me share the the mobile data but not over a lan connection to the laptop ....and i'd need to leave a laptop on all the time.

I also looked at purchasing mi-fi devices but none of the blurb suggests that they can do exactly what i am trying to achieve.

Anyone have a confident answer?

Mark

If you have no DSL or Cable modem servicing your LAN... or you disconnect it whey wanting to use cellular... you can use a WiFi bridge.
This becomes a WiFi client of your phone's tethering.
The phone is the WiFi access point and router to cellular as the Wide Area Network in lieu of cable/dsl.
The bridge connects your LAN to phone via WiFi.
Your LAN can have switches to connect more PCs.
Your LAN could have one or more WiFi access points to improve coverage.

WiFi bridges are sold under than name, or as a "game adaptor".
Common WiFi routers do not have a bridge mode.
A "WDS Bridge" - is less preferred. In has no ethernet port. It is a "repeater" - connecting on one side to your phone or other wifi access device, and on the other side, to wifi client devices. WDS Bridge/repeaters are notoriously unreliable.

Here's a URL - one of many WiFi bridge with ethernet. It connects your LAN.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162029

A better option, if you can afford to pay for a second cellular service, independent of your phone:
CradlePoint makes WiFi routers that can accept a USB cellular modem like you'd plug into a laptop. Look on eBay for used MBR900s. Or purchase new or other Cradlepoint product. Other vendors for these include Peplink and Sierra Wireless.
If your cellular is Verizon, they will sell/provide a cellular based home network using an indoor bridge they support, or an roof eaves mounted device. If your cellular is AT&T, my sympathies (grin).

Last edited:
Hi Steve and thanks. Funny when someone else expresses it differently it would have been easier to find. using your experience can you help educate and guide me?

Clarification 1
I see wireless bridges/adapters are generally design to connect non wifi enable devices to a wifi network. My example is tehcnically the other way round in that im trying to connect my non ethernet (galaxy s4) device to my wired lan....but i guess that doesnt matter. TBH i have bought a bridge of ebay so i'll find out in practice.

Clarification 2
I have a number of old wireless routers (5+) and if i could find one that would take ddwrt (or my netgear dg834g v4 with cfw) i thought i could set one in bridge mode and use its ethernet port as with the solution above - but

I wasnt quite sure how to set the wireless settings - i.e. how to make it synch with the wifi hotspot. e.g. same ssid etc.....tbh i wasn't sure it made any difference to the wireless function. So then i reflected on you words A "WDS Bridge" - is less preferred. In has no ethernet port. It is a "repeater" - connecting on one side to your phone or other wifi access device, and on the other side, to wifi client devices. WDS Bridge/repeaters are notoriously unreliable.

Should i just ditch the idea of using an old router for this functionality?

Follow on question
When i eventually have 2 internet gateways on my lan, have you got any reocmmendation on how to automatically load balance e.g. gaming using the adsl for latency but downloads using cellular for bandwidth?

Cheers

Mark

My example is tehcnically the other way round in that im trying to connect my non ethernet (galaxy s4) device to my wired lan....

No, you are connecting your wired LAN to your Galaxys WiFi.

I have a number of old wireless routers (5+) and if i could find one that would take ddwrt (or my netgear dg834g v4 with cfw) i thought i could set one in bridge mode and use its ethernet port as with the solution above - but

That would work. What you are looking for is generally called "client mode" (the "opposite" of "access point mode").

When i eventually have 2 internet gateways on my lan, have you got any reocmmendation on how to automatically load balance e.g. gaming using the adsl for latency but downloads using cellular for bandwidth?

That is very hard to set up. I'd say forget it, you will never get it working the way you want.