What's new

Upgrade advice from RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snb008

Regular Contributor
Looks like my Asus RT-AC87U is dying. It has been working flawlessly since bought new in 2014.

After some basic research, I have eyes on Asus RT-AX86U.

I am particularly concerned with its range and wall penetrating power when compared to my AC87U.
Will the AX86U lose much in these 2 areas, due to having 'only' 3 antenna vs 4 antenna of the AC87U.
Currently, my AC87U (in a bedroom) reaches the living room via a 90-degree bend corridor without problem.

Thanks for any advice.

Edit 1:
Checked my local stores and it seems this AX86U is out of stocl at the moment.
How about AX88U?
And, any equivalent model from Netgear brand?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Looks like my Asus RT-AC87U is dying. It has been working flawlessly since bought new in 2014.

I am particularly concerned with its range and wall penetrating power when compared to my AC87U.
Will the AX86U lose much in these 2 areas, due to having 'only' 3 antenna vs 4 antenna of the AC87U.
Currently, my AC87U (in a bedroom) reaches the living room via a 90-degree bend corridor without problem.

Thanks for any advice.
I had a 87u and upgraded to a ax88u and wifi is almost the same a bit better on the ax88 is what i experience.
AX86u should preform(think the 4th antenna is built in on ax86u)equal to the ax88u i believe.
Was looking at both models before i upgraded..But the ax88u is like 87u in design and fit better where i have the router located.

Last edited:

Read around... the AX86U is often recommended.

Generally speaking, newer WiFi will perform better/be more effective, barring any regulatory changes in permitted Tx power.

Clients typically have 1, maybe 2, no more than 3 antennas. Review the router model specs to know how many antennas there are, inside and out. The AX86U has enough.

Distance and obstacles/materials attenuate WiFi signals. Any decent new router will most likely serve you better than a model from 8 years ago.

OE

Note that the RT-AX86U does have a 4x4:4 antennae:stream setup.

I doubt it will be worse than the RT-AC87U you have now.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

386.1 Final 2x RT-AX86Us 2.5GbE Backhaul

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

From my experience (see the last link above), the RT-AX88U is by far, inferior, to the RT-AX86U (as is every other router I've tried so far).

The router you pick should be based on your current and expected (near future) ISP speeds, the size of your home and the walls/obstacles it may have, and the number of concurrent users/devices and their load on the network too.

With a 1Gbps symmetrical service (now, or expected soon), the RT-AX86U is your best bet. Regardless of the size of your home, the number of clients you have, or the actual load the network sees during normal use. That is, if, you want to fully utilize your 1Gbps connection (and note, you may need more than one RT-AX86U to achieve that in your home, via wired backhaul mode).

I do understand the RT-AX86U is a good solid choice. However, it is not available locally and anytime soon. All local stores do not have it. I cannot wait forever as they do not even have a restockment date.

I have to think about alternatives and am willing to accept a '2nd best' choice.
If RT-AX86U scores 100 , how much would you guys say of these (on a scale of 1-100) ?
a) RT-AX88U
b) RT-AX86S
c) any other from (TP-link, Netgear) ?

If you cannot have the best, you have to settle for a lesser 2nd one. There has to be one out there.

Last edited:
Did you see the links above?

The RT-AX88U is not on the list.

This one. Good for up to Gigabit ISP. The same radios as AX86U. The same VPN performance.
Indeed I am using 1Gbps up and down.

Decided on the RT-AX86S, which is in stock. Will hop down to a nearby store to pick it up in a few days.
Cannot wait to set it up and compare with my RT-AC87U (which has been so trustworthy in the past 8 years...lol...it is dying slowly as if to give me enough time to buy a new one...now the 5G radio is dead....wonder what else can it be used for).

Did you see the links above?

The RT-AX88U is not on the list.
I did scan through the links. Thanks.

But why did you say the RT-AX88U is not on the list?

From your first link:-
''Entry-level, Good, Better, and Best (today): RT-AC86U, RT-AX68U, RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U.''
''There are really no other options other than the 4 models Asus offers (and RMerlin support, of course).''

These are the 4 options that you recommend as of late 2021. Still applicable today of Mid 2022?
The RT-AX88U was 'Better' on the 2nd place!

I have already zeroed in on the RT-AX86S.
But I still like to clarify your other recommendation other than the RT-AX86U (which, I agree, is usually the 1st choice).

Thanks.