What's new

Upgrade R7800 or not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BostonDan

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

I’m trying to decide whether to upgrade my Netgear R7800 router and am considering the RAX20. I don’t want to spend alot and like the price point of the RAX20. Would the RAX20 show noticeable performance improvement or would I have to move to the RAX45? Our family has 5 laptops, 6 roku’s, iPads, iPhones, surveillance cameras, gaming platforms, etc…. Any thoughts on what type of performance improvement I might see moving to the RAX20.

Between the choices expressed, stay with what you have now.

You may want to consider @Voxel's firmware, if you're not already using it.

R7800 is very good router why you consider to upgrade it? is you ISP seed is close to 1Gbit?
if yes you can consider miniPC with OPNsense, pfSense or openWRT - changing to new current home router even the strongest one do not have much sens.

Thanks Everyone. - My ISP speed is 1Gbit. I want to stay with stock firmware with whatever device I end up with. Based on the responses, I‘m guessing I won’t see any noticeable improvement buying a new router and am going to stay its the R7800. Again - Thanks!