What's new

Upgrade to AX68U from AX58U, worth it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

torstein

I have the AX58U and it works fine, but it bothers me that it only has 2x2 MIMO and that it apparently has an early draft of the WiFi6-standard, and as such not "Certified WiFi6".
The AX68U is now on sale in my country for 40% off roughly. Is it worth the upgrade to AX68U?

I mostly just stream,have a media-server, TimeMachine-server, an OpenVPN-server running and surf the web, but I would like to have the fastest speeds with the lowest latency and utilise my Macbook Pro 3x3 MIMO. I also use Merlin-wrt.

What are your thoughts?

if you are happy with AX58U do not change it to AX68U
if you think current router is to cheap and you want to spend more like for iPhone/ Samsung cell look at AX86U that is much better compering to both routers you consider.

But the AX86U came before the 68U and hence is not a fully certified wifi 6 router, no? i read the 86u as the 58u was made with an early almost finished but not quite wifi 6 draft.

So the 68U should be more «complete» than the 86U, right?

Should be's, and could have been's, mean little. As does 'certification' too, sometimes. From everything I can see on Asus' site, the RT-AX86U is identical or superior to the RT-AX68U in every aspect. And in performance, far superior.

The RT-AX86U is the most complete, most powerful, stable, and (so far after 6+ months of using two of them), reliable router Asus has offered so far with RMerlin support.

Without ever using the RT-AX68U, I cannot recommend it for the asking price. The RT-AC86U is still the far better router, overall, (as an entry-level product today with RMerlin support).

The RT-AX58U is an acceptable product if you can find it at a very good sale price. The link below is my opinion of that model.

I'll be curious to see what Tim finds when he tests the RT-AX68U. But I highly doubt that this will be the model to knock the RT-AX86U off it's current #1 throne.

Home - SmallNetBuilder

do not look at it as "draft" is something wrong - In the past long time ago (2009) I bought Asus RT-N16 that have N draft and it was the most stable router I ever worked with. Is still used in my family with E3372S-150 LTE and tomato.

you want to improve your network operation and we just advice how to do it.

Thanks for the replies! I read your comment L&LD about the AX58U performance dip, but it works fine in my 40m2 apartment... I just remember my old AC68U was a community darling here, so I assumed the AX68U would also become the new go-to router, and it being newer and certified + 3x3mimo I figured it might be better to replace my AX58U.

The AX86U is still very expensive, at almost twice the price of the AX58U.

I wonder, which AX-router IS the new community-darling? Is it the AX86U? AX88U? Or will it be the AX68U?

it is AX86U and it is advised by RMerlin
If you are happy with AX58U wait for special offer for AX86U and then take it.