What's new

Upgrading firmware versions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

d_v_us

Regular Contributor
Hello, just trying to gauge what most people do when upgrading firmware versions, for example...I'm gonna update from 386.2_2 to 386.2_4 (not talking about any nodes...the master)....do most save ur settings and then restore them? I remember back in the earlier versions, I would just hand jam all the settings back in manually depending on the version or is that no longer a thing....I know I certainly hope not:)

No, do not restore your previous settings after a firmware upgrade. Sometimes the new firmware has to migrate some settings from an old format to a new format. If you restored your old settings you would undo that process and potentially create problems.

By all means take a backup of your current settings and current firmware before installing the new firmware just in case you need to completely revert to your previous setup.

No, do not restore your previous settings after a firmware upgrade. Sometimes the new firmware has to migrate some settings from an old format to a new format. If you restored your old settings you would undo that process and potentially create problems.

By all means take a backup of your current settings and current firmware before installing the new firmware just in case you need to completely revert to your previous setup.
So yep....that's what I'm asking....before you upgrade...do you do a "wipe" or....just upgrade and then does it retain all ur settings from previous versions?.....sorry if this question is kinda basic knowledge:( In the past I would do a wipe (or reset) and then load new version.

Your settings are not wiped when you flash new firmware on it.

If you want to give the new firmware the best chance to be stable, fast, and secure, a full reset (after you flash the new firmware) is recommended. Be sure you do not load an old saved backup config file afterward.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Your settings are not wiped when you flash new firmware on it.

If you want to give the new firmware the best chance to be stable, fast, and secure, a full reset (after you flash the new firmware) is recommended. Be sure you do not load an old saved backup config file afterward.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More
Aaaaah Mr. L&LD...thank you for responding....I remember your posts from back in the day:)....yes....ur wisdom and links are much appreciated. I had taken a long break from upgrading my Asus hardware but have recently invested in a couple of RT-AX86Us, ACs and getting back on track:)

So yep....that's what I'm asking....before you upgrade...do you do a "wipe" or....just upgrade and then does it retain all ur settings from previous versions?.....sorry if this question is kinda basic knowledge:( In the past I would do a wipe (or reset) and then load new version.
No you do not need to "wipe" your settings before installing a new firmware, unless the release notes for the new firmware explicitly tells you it is required which is very rare.

386.2_2 to 386.2_4 is a very minor update. I'm not sure why you're not updating to the latest release, 386.3_2.

Last edited:
386.2_2 to 386.2_4 is a very minor update. I'm not sure why you're not updating to the latest release, 386.3_2.
As far as why I'm not flashing to 3_2....I usually stay a few versions behind....just because I'm old school:) Nice and sloooooow.

I found myself within a forest dark, For the straightforward pathway had been lost.
Ah, those dreaded updates... I'm still sweating.
I am none the wiser, but do remember fondly the day when @john9527 proposed a Save and Restore tool. Bless.
If you want to avoid the Nuclear Option :) the nsrum [as yet not tested by me] package on amtm looks promising.
Do stay safe, and follow Colin's recommendations, though.

[Edit: Finishing sentence]

Last edited:
This may be common enough knowledge that it can go unsaid, but before flashing new firmware over old/existing, be sure to eject any USB drives you have connected to the router <- that's a best practise that people often forget/overlook.
The chances of a successful process seem to go up exponentially to "impossible to fail" that way...or come VERY close.