What's new

UPnP - Multiple Xbox One Gaming Consoles & NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For some reason the PS4 handles NAT better than the Xbox. There's times I'll have both consoles on and the PS4 is Open and the Xbox is moderate or strict.
ive had the reverse, my cousins or my friends ps4 gers type 2= moderate but my Xboxes one and 360 always open, I don't even understand it my self.

You guys are starting to give me a headache with those multiple posts over four separate threads about NAT types...

Try the following script (can be set as a nat-start script, or manually run):

Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING ! -s $(nvram get wan0_ipaddr) -o $(nvram get wan0_ifname) -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o $(nvram get wan0_ifname) -j SNAT --to-source $(nvram get wan0_ipaddr)

The PREROUTING DNAT rules are already configured by UPNP. What this does is change the POSTROUTING MASQUERADE into an SNAT.

No guarantee it will solve your problems (because there's no guarantee this IS the source of your problem).

BTW, Moderate NAT is not the end of the world. What is problematic is if you get a Strict NAT.
you forgot closed nat, moderate sucks tho it becomes a pia when it come to finding matches, but at strict I feel like giving up entirely.

Try that script, you'll see what happens. For all intent and purposes, it should match what the iptables mailing list thread referred to as being a full cone NAT, unless they expect the rules to be applied to the remote server rather than the WAN IP, but I doubt it. And I can't find any way to test it from a PC (I don't have a game console). All I know is that my regular Internet NAT still works fine.
its easy to test from pc, just get a games for windows live game, or any of the modern pc cod games, eg mw3, black ops 2, infinite warfare, advanced warfare etc, since I have the games I can check for you, and that's all on pc lol.

With my experience with Moderate NAT on PS4 and Xbox One. People can join my session but we just can't talk. So voice communication is disrupted.

wait what I read all the guides said type 2 is moderate type 1 is open, legit soo confused now.

Type 1 is Open when connected directly to a Modem. Type 2 is Open connected to a router than the modem. It's in the link that RMerlin posted above.

Someone give step by step instructions on how to do this would be great.

its easy to test from pc, just get a games for windows live game, or any of the modern pc cod games, eg mw3, black ops 2, infinite warfare, advanced warfare etc, since I have the games I can check for you, and that's all on pc lol.

I'm not gonna buy a game just to test NAT, sorry...

Someone give step by step instructions on how to do this would be great.
I'm trying to work out how to do it correctly been reading RMerlins guide on scripts, I tried creating one but I didn't do it properly from what I understand, I can confirm that 2 copies of call of duty will work perfectly on pc I have 2 steam copies of black ops 3, modern warfare remastered and infinite warfare, all run perfectly with open nat, since 380.66 alpha 4. This is a pic from my Xbox one no scripts, so does that mean we already have full cone enabled and not symmetric, I'm confused as hell, as wot which it is.

still moderate nat, just a nice way of saying it

Moderate NAT you can't talk to anyone. I have no issues talking in a party or game chat. For the last 3 years I have not seen anyone get a Type 1 on a speed test on a PS4. If you can get Type 1 please post a pic.

I'm not gonna buy a game just to test NAT, sorry...
I was offering to test it for you since I have the games I was just listing pc games with nat, if you need that tested just ask me, also if you want I can post screen shots, the steam copies of cod I have a cross both pcs work perfectly fine with open nat, the only one being a pia is the spec ops mode of mw3, but multiplayer mode has open, and battle born both copis on steam have mod nat.

Moderate NAT you can't talk to anyone. I have no issues talking in a party or game chat. For the last 3 years I have not seen anyone get a Type 1 on a speed test on a PS4. If you can get Type 1 please post a pic.
ill have to ask my friend to if they can loan me their spare ps4, assuming it works, hmmm I'm thinking dmz, or manual port forwarding, not that I'm not willing to help, I just don't own one sry, so until I can either get my cousin to bring his or my friend to come to an arrangement, my hands are tied.

ill have to ask my friend to if they can loan me their spare ps4, assuming it works.

Ok cool. I have over 100 friends on PS4. We've talked about this for 3 years and not one of us can get Type 1 NAT even with port forwarding. Type 2 seems to be the standard.

Ok cool. I have over 100 friends on PS4. We've talked about this for 3 years and not one of us can get Type 1 NAT even with port forwarding. Type 2 seems to be the standard.
I use to help people get open nat in cod on pc, via team viewer, did manual port forwards and things, jeez was I popular. But ill see what I can do, I'm inclined to believe that both first of the next gens have upnp bugs, and borked net code. Though merlins magic made my xbox one work amazingly, also cod on both my pcs have open nat flawlessly so I'm quite happy, I'm just still around to nail any more issues that I can. :)

I use to help people get open nat in cod on pc, via team viewer, did manual port forwards and things, jeez was I popular. But ill see what I can do, I'm inclined to believe that both first of the next gens have upnp bugs, and borked net code. Though merlins magic made my xbox one work amazingly, also cod on both my pcs have open nat flawlessly so I'm quite happy, I'm just still around to nail any more issues that I can. :)

Some games on PS4 let you check to see what your NAT is. I played a few games that do and with a NAT Type 2 they all showed Open NAT within the game.

Some games on PS4 let you check to see what your NAT is. I played a few games that do and with a NAT Type 2 they all showed Open NAT within the game.
Also before I forget can you tell me what port of your ps4 uses, I bet its not 3074, that why the nat is moderate check the ps4 screen shots I have here of my cousins ps4, same bug I had with cod, its not using a normal port number, .
if you look at the upnp log 9308 (udp) is the ps4 ip is 192.168.1.18, tedro is the xbox one.
I think ive found the issue :p
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a-couple-of-assorted-issues.40522/

ps4 ports
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/nw_test.html

Last edited:
df642c00cb17131e50217248e9ac54f5.jpg

Here's a speed test I just took. Shows as Type 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk