What's new

USB 3.0 Hub for external hard drives connected to ASUS RT-87u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

arrland

New Around Here
I would like to connect more than 1 USB 3.0 hard drive to my ASUS RT-AC87U router. I use mine for backing up files on my network and would love to be able to connect up 3 different drives at the same time on the USB 3.0 port. I already have one connected to the USB 2.0 port but the transfer speed is very slow.

Has anyone successfully connected a USB 3.0 hub to an ASUS router?
Is this a feature that could be added in future releases of the Merlin software?

Has anyone successfully connected a USB 3.0 hub to an ASUS router?

psssst , its called a NAS , really easy to use and more hdd's left laying around

i do however think it is possible to use a usb hub but why bother , plus the usb3 effecting 2.4 gig issue

Not just AsusWRT - USB3 Hubs and many operating systems seem to have problems :|

It's mostly because it requires specific driver support, unlike USB2 hubs that tended to be "dumb" devices.

Hello everyone.

I have plugged into the usb3 of the front a hub with 4 ports usb3 and 3 usb2, in ports usb3 I have 1 usb3 pendrive with entware and transmission. Also I have another port usb3 an adapter for hd 3.5 also usb3 where I have a hd of 1TB where I keep what I have downloaded. It works perfect but only if it is fed externally. The hub is the http://coolbox.es/accesorios-energia-y-conectividad/2152-hub-usb-30-7-puertos-8437012429574.html

I have the latest firmware version 380.65_2

In case anyone can help.

Greetings to all!

My English is very bad, translated by google ;-)

Hello everyone.

I have plugged into the usb3 of the front a hub with 4 ports usb3 and 3 usb2, in ports usb3 I have 1 usb3 pendrive with entware and transmission. Also I have another port usb3 an adapter for hd 3.5 also usb3 where I have a hd of 1TB where I keep what I have downloaded. It works perfect but only if it is fed externally. The hub is the http://coolbox.es/accesorios-energia-y-conectividad/2152-hub-usb-30-7-puertos-8437012429574.html

I have the latest firmware version 380.65_2

In case anyone can help.

Greetings to all!

My English is very bad, translated by google ;-)
That's good to hear!
USB2 Hubs work out of the box, but personally, I would not trust the USB3 hub to work error free on the router.
My fully updated and latest driver installed Windows 10 machine is at times dropping the USB3 Hub I have attached.

That's good to hear!
USB2 Hubs work out of the box, but personally, I would not trust the USB3 hub to work error free on the router.
My fully updated and latest driver installed Windows 10 machine is at times dropping the USB3 Hub I have attached.
Hello! Is your usb3 hub powered? The hub usb3 is powered and I can download with a transmission on a USB drive and watch videos on the TV from another hard disk by dlna at the same time that it is plugged into the same hub usb3 and for now 0 locks.

Hello! Is your usb3 hub powered? The hub usb3 is powered and I can download with a transmission on a USB drive and watch videos on the TV from another hard disk by dlna at the same time that it is plugged into the same hub usb3 and for now 0 locks.
I have no hubs connected to the router, just tested it at one time with the three USB2 hubs I have. All worked.
I have more capable devices for the storage needs than my overworked routers...

On Cyber Monday I bought a Seagate 8TB Backup+ Hub for Mac for only $149. I wanted to attach it to my ASUS RT-AC3200 for network storage. I am running Merlin 380.68_4 firmware.
Anyone tried this on a Mac? It was more of an impulse buy (go figure) so I did not have time to research if it would actually work or not. Wanted to run it by you all before I opened it.

Thanks,
Semper Fi

On Cyber Monday I bought a Seagate 8TB Backup+ Hub for Mac for only $149. I wanted to attach it to my ASUS RT-AC3200 for network storage. I am running Merlin 380.68_4 firmware.
Anyone tried this on a Mac? It was more of an impulse buy (go figure) so I did not have time to research if it would actually work or not. Wanted to run it by you all before I opened it.

Thanks,
Semper Fi

I've bought the same disk and having the same problem with my ASUS RT-AC87U. It works ok on the USB 2.0 port, but router cannot see the disk if you attach it to the USB 3.0 port. Seems like router doesn't like the HUB included in this disk.

Greetings!

i have the same problem with seagate 6TB backup+ Hub and ac68u, dont see disk on usb 3.0. I get disk yesterday, i will try on usb 2.0, but....

Looks like support for USB 3.0 hubs is a common problem. Anyone know of a working firmware or ongoing project to add generic USB 3.0 hub support to ASUS firmware? If generic support is not possible or very easy; how about support for the hubs in Seagate products like - "Seagate 8TB Backup+ Hub"?

Thanks!
Mark

Currently running:
ASUS RT-AC87U; Stock 3.0.0.4.380_7743

No have news?

UP, I want to buy ORICO A3H4-BK (USB 3.0 HUB x 4), whether will work?

UP, I want to buy ORICO A3H4-BK (USB 3.0 HUB x 4), whether will work?

Hello peoples, I connected to USB 3.0 via Orico Hub --- HDD 2 TB + SSD 512 GB + SSD 120 GB.
On the first SSD established: Entware + Diversion + Swap 512 MB. Everything perfectly works.
Speed of downloading and viewing increased. Orico gives an external power supply. All disks formated to Ext4.

Attachments

• USB 3.0 x 3 HDD.jpg
    USB 3.0 x 3 HDD.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 970
  • Orico.jpg
    Orico.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 881
upload_2019-7-6_16-19-42.png

I have this relatively cheap one connected to mine it even has an individual powered port as well.
it works without any problem.

First of all, apologies for bumping an old topic but this is where Google took me when I looked up my router name (RT-AC87U) and USB 3.0 Hub.

I went through two hubs that did not work and was on my third, thinking it wasn't working either. My first one was under powered, second one didn't work. Third one didn't work either, but I somehow had the idea to reboot the router, and well...that did the trick.

This is what I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZQ07NE/?tag=snbforums-20

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!