What's new

Network Map not refreshing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daveo

Regular Contributor
Router: ASUS RT-AX88U
Firmware: 388.2_2
Scripts: AMTM, Entware, Diversion, Skynet, Scribe, scMerlin, FlexQoS, uiDivStats, uiScribe
USB Device: USB 32GB Drive (USB 3) with 2GB swapfile (USB Mode: USB 2)

Network Map via web panel and via the ASUS app are not refreshing and manual refreshing isn't working either.

Network Map is showing connections/devices that are either not switched on or no longer connected.

Any idea on how to fix, without rebooting the router or is this a known issue ?

Known issue with Asus and Merlin firmware. Welcome to the club!

Reset and manual configure may help.

OK, thanks for the confirmation.

I'll hold the reset and manual reconfigure off till the next firmware release.

Think I've tried that a few times with no luck, but will try again.

- EDIT -
That didn't work, seems like the Network Map is frozen at a set list in time, can't rmember how old that list is now, but it's been almost since the last time I updated the router (from 382.2 to 382.2_2).

- EDIT 2 -
Rebooted router, it reset the list, but I can't refresh it to pick up all devices and I can't edit the names or icons (try to but it doesn't save them).

Last edited:
I am now able to refresh the list and edit names and icons.

Looks like the reboot DID fix it... for now.

I wonder if ASUS will ever get this fixed :rolleyes:

Load the new firmware on your router.

Just a shot but have you tried to restart the samba service? Do it with: service restart_smbd
I know that the configuration for devices attached is generally controlled through the samba smb.conf located for my router in /etc/smb.conf I edited this to add a folder that wasnt showing and then restarted the samba service using this command and I was able to then see the proper folder. Just a shot..

Any update on this? Really annoying that the network map doesn't refresh (frozen) and have to reboot the router just for that.

Any update on this? Really annoying that the network map doesn't refresh (frozen) and have to reboot the router just for that.
Were you able to try the samba restart to see if that works? It didnt force a reboot for me to do that. Just curious if it works for you. Ssh in to router and run command: service restart_smbd

I will try when it freezes next. What folder did you add?
"the samba smb.conf located for my router in /etc/smb.conf I edited this to add a folder that wasnt showing"

Just a shot but have you tried to restart the samba service? Do it with: service restart_smbd
I know that the configuration for devices attached is generally controlled through the samba smb.conf located for my router in /etc/smb.conf I edited this to add a folder that wasnt showing and then restarted the samba service using this command and I was able to then see the proper folder. Just a shot..
This will have no effect. The service restart_smbd will not do anything because it's not the correct command. Even if you enter the correct command, which is service restart_samba, any changes you had made to smb.conf will be wiped out.

I have the router on a nightly scheduled reboot just because network map freezes. Is it bad (hard on router) to reboot the router that frequent?

I have the router on a nightly scheduled reboot just because network map freezes. Is it bad (hard on router) to reboot the router that frequent?
It's generally not desirable to reboot the router that frequently (or at all), especially if you have an attached USB drive or are running various addon scripts. It's only something you would do out of necessity as a workaround for an issue you can't fix (e.g. your network map problem). Theoretically it might increase the accumulated stress on the router's components but in reality that's probably negligible over the lifetime of the router (unless it's located in a very hot environment).

Ok thanks, that's what I thought. I think I'll disable reboot schedule and just do once in a while as needed.

So, after 50 days up uptime on 388.4, it looks to me that Network Map is kind of working for me. It correctly shows when devices are present on the network, and I can do things like rename devices. Neither of these used to work after a few days or week.

However, its only partially working. Network Map is not showing the devices on my GT-AX6000 AP. And when I configure a new IP address for a device, the device has a "2" next to it in the list (the device appears twice in the Network Map).

When I initially upgraded to 388.4, I could swear that Network Map would stop updating entirely after a few days or a week. The only change I've made to my router in the last few weeks has been to enable the Traffic Statistics. Perhaps this keeps Network Map working.

I have been running 3004.388.4_0_rog on GT-AX6000 main with RT-AC68U node for quite a while and the network map has been refreshing as expected (knock on wood!). I just reboot everything once a week, but I probably don't have to do that anymore. I can provide other settings if you want.