What's new

USB to 2.5Gbe adapter on AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

"Does it work in AI mesh?"

Have no idea. I don't have AI Mesh setup.
I had similar about a year ago.
I plugged wan to wan on XT8 which gave me a 2.5gb backhaul. But even with usb adaptor I could not get an Internet connection. I was going to try CLI but the 160mhz radar issue meant I had to get rid so no point pursuing..

Attachments

• Picture5(1).png
    Picture5(1).png
    440.9 KB · Views: 195
I was hoping for the sake of AX88U owners two adapters would be plug n play. Still might be an option. But not via the DUAL WAN process.

Might work via some kind of script that utilizes one of the adapters as a LAN port.

The second seemingly unrecognized USB adapter generates this in syslog.

Sep 15 15:02:09 hotplug: add net eth8.

Unplug and plug back in:

Sep 15 15:06:24 kernel: xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0: Cannot set link state.
Sep 15 15:06:24 kernel: usb usb2-port1: cannot disable (err = -32)
Sep 15 15:06:24 hotplug: remove net eth8.
Sep 15 15:06:26 hotplug: add net eth8.

Turning off SMB server now as I use a USB drive in this same port usually.

Still not recognized beyond syslog entry and eth8. Last thing I want to try can't right now and that's do a power off boot in case the "warm reset" means the router needs to reconfigure that USB port.

Sep 15 15:08:23 rc_service: httpd 1375:notify_rc stop_samba
Sep 15 15:08:23 wsdd2[11000]: Terminated received.
Sep 15 15:08:23 Samba_Server: smb daemon is stopped
Sep 15 15:09:13 kernel: +++++ BRCM skipping port_feat_c_connection for warm reset
Sep 15 15:09:13 kernel: xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0: Cannot set link state.
Sep 15 15:09:13 kernel: usb usb2-port1: cannot disable (err = -32)
Sep 15 15:09:13 hotplug: remove net eth8.
Sep 15 15:09:16 hotplug: add net eth8.

Interesting the eth port stays the same even though the adapter is now plugged into a different USB port.
It will stay as eth8 as it is the 8th eth port available.
Someone mentioned before about rebooting with it plugged in and it detects it different?

This XT8 couldn't even identify itself. :)
The picture is missing on your screenshot.

Holding speeds mid to high 400's. Used to be mid 300's. Which is what I expected. A bit faster but not earth shaking difference.

Capture.JPG

This XT8 couldn't even identify itself. :)
The picture is missing on your screenshot.
Picture missing? Or you mean router part isn't blue?
It detects the 2.5gb link. Just doesn't go out to Internet.

"It will stay as eth8 as it is the 8th eth port available."

There won't be another eth 8 though. At least as I understand it. There's no port on the router for the router to label eth 8. I'm thinking about a script to recognize the usb device as a LAN port. The eth port assigned would have to be part of the script yes?

"It will stay as eth8 as it is the 8th eth port available."

There won't be another eth 8 though. At least as I understand it. There's no port on the router for the router to label eth 8. I'm thinking about a script to recognize the usb device as a LAN port. The eth port assigned would have to be part of the script yes?
Your router says it has 9 ethernet ports. 0-8 including your USB adaptor.

Wan will probably be called Wan0 or similar.

Last edited:
"May 5 01:05:08 kernel: Chip Port 9, CrossBar Port 0, PHY_ID <0x06100006:0x06: On-chip 2.5G SERDES> Cfg: ANG.2.5G; Down"

I don't have a WLan anywhere in the syslog.

"May 5 01:05:08 kernel: Chip Port 9, CrossBar Port 0, PHY_ID <0x06100006:0x06: On-chip 2.5G SERDES> Cfg: ANG.2.5G; Down"

I don't have a WLan anywhere in the syslog.
Sorry autocorrect got me.
Wlan is wireless lan
Eth is ethernet
I forget what Wan is called, and with Linux there are other names too like phy0 enp1s0 etc

Thanks. I know what WLAN means. Someone who has the skill set to add the use of these USB adapters to the firmware would obviously know how to find the source name, etc. I'm just pointing out that the name seems to be the same. No way could code it if for every router if the source would be referred to differently.

Power off boot did not enable the 2nd USB device to be recognized. Could as noted just be a matter of missing code to do so. For now however I am able to have 2 2.5gb ports on the AX86U, one LAN, one WAN.

For AX88U can have one just for WAN.

Going to make reasonable guess and say the Realtek RTL 8156B will work on the AX88U as well. They can be found for less than 30 bucks.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Power off boot did not enable the 2nd USB device to be recognized. Could as noted just be a matter of missing code to do so. For now however I am able to have 2 2.5gb ports on the AX86U, one LAN, one WAN.

For AX88U can have one just for WAN.

Going to make reasonable guess and say the Realtek RTL 8156B will work on the AX88U as well. They can be found for less than 30 bucks.

As always, your mileage may vary.

View attachment 36338
That's handy if it works for backhaul on XT8

"backhaul on XT8"

Don't think the adapter would. Its not a LAN port. Can't configure it as one. As for backhaul, I only ever configured the slave router as an AP. SSID's the same. Simple and worked.

All this MESH and Backhaul stuff seems to be making stuff more complicated than required.

Something interesting from all of this. I am seeing where people are getting around speed issues by using ethernet to USB adapters on other equipment as well. One I am experiencing is my TV. As most TV's do it only supports 100 Mbps ethernet though it does support faster WiFi which is really fast enough for most streaming but demands are rising. By using an E-Net to USB adapter my TV now has 1 Gig ethernet that is stable... So keep this in mind for other issues and equipment down the road.

@Vinmar that is good to know.

But, for completeness, and while you're still around these forums, what TV model (and firmware), and what specific adaptor are you using that works so well for you?

@Vinmar that is good to know.

But, for completeness, and while you're still around these forums, what TV model (and firmware), and what specific adaptor are you using that works so well for you?

He is probably talking about the cable matters dongle that works on "Some" LG and Sony tvs.
Although a word of warning. I have one of these dongles and it doesn't work with my LG tv.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!