What's new

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't hurt....but right now there is no need for a factory reset moving between different versions of the fork (if there ever is a reset required, I'll definitely highlight it).

I know, but i had some wireless problems, right after updating to 06 without factory reset, in speedtest i can't get ~200 Mbps on my Note 3, only ~100 Mbps in 5Ghz so I had to hard reset after the update.

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-9A10:/tmp/mnt/sda1/Asus# ./nvram-restore-20141214-9A10.sh
Restoring [System - Basic]
Restoring [System - Miscellaneous]
Restoring [Switch Control]
Restoring [NAT Passthrough]
Restoring [TCP/UDP Settings]
Restoring [Port Forwards]
Restoring [Port Triggers]
Restoring [Static Routing]
Restoring [MAC Filters]
Restoring [IPv6 Settings]
Restoring [Wireless Configuration - General]
Restoring [Wireless Configuration - Professional]
Restoring [Guest Network]
Restoring [Firewall Settings]
Restoring [VPN Server]
Restoring [VPN Client]
Restoring [Media Server]
Restoring [SAMBA Settings]
Restoring [FTP Settings]
Restoring [NFS Settings]
Restoring [IPTV Settings]
Restoring [DDNS Settings]
Restoring [LAN Configuration]
Restoring [DHCP Settings]
Restoring [WAN Configuration]
Restoring [Dual WAN Settings]
Restoring [QOS Settings]

Complete: User NVRAM restored - Please reboot

Last edited:
Version 7 Update

Update to....

Version 7
- add WPS vars to ini [Wireless - General] - thanks Gerr

Due to some temporary problems with attachments, I've put the latest version up on my download site.

Temporary download location
nvram-save-r7.zip
http://1drv.ms/16pENHc

I used v6 just before v7 was uploaded.

I was using your fw v374.43_2-03j9527. I then used v6 of this utility and did a backup of the settings.

Factory restore, Update to latest 374.43_2-06j9527, factory restore, and then restored the backup created by nvram utility.

After going through the settings I noticed:

1. the DNS filter settings did not backup, I had many IP's set to different DNS filters.

2. WPS was set to on, I had it set to off before backing up.

3. All my SAMBA users plus their permissions (for the connected usb hdd) were missing, only the default admin+permissions were restored.

I plugged the usb into the pc, and noticed there was several files the the names of the samba users, not sure if that means anything.

Also, can we save multiple times on the same usb?
For instance right now I have the backup files, can I do a migration backup after doing a normal backup, or does the usb need to be formatted between each backup, or between a newer version of the utility?

I was using your fw v374.43_2-03j9527. I then used v6 of this utility and did a backup of the settings.

Factory restore, Update to latest 374.43_2-06j9527, factory restore, and then restored the backup created by nvram utility.

After going through the settings I noticed:

1. the DNS filter settings did not backup, I had many IP's set to different DNS filters.
Yep....you found a missed section. Didn't save the DNS Filter settings. Will be in Version 8 (along with a Parental Controls section which I also found was missing).

2. WPS was set to on, I had it set to off before backing up.
Should be handled in the Version 7 update.

3. All my SAMBA users plus their permissions (for the connected usb hdd) were missing, only the default admin+permissions were restored.
Good catch....the access list was not being saved (fix in Version 8 for both SMB and FTP). As for the permissions, these aren't saved in nvram, but are read/written directly from the shared resource, so you may need to check these by hand after a restore.

I plugged the usb into the pc, and noticed there was several files the the names of the samba users, not sure if that means anything.
If these are the files starting with '.__' these are system files and are normal.

Also, can we save multiple times on the same usb?
For instance right now I have the backup files, can I do a migration backup after doing a normal backup, or does the usb need to be formatted between each backup, or between a newer version of the utility?

The restore scripts are date stamped, but not time stamped. So running against the same router (or running a migration save) on the same day will overwrite the existing files. If you run on different days (or rename the files on the same day), you can save as many as will fit on the usb.

No need to format again (if you want to update to a newer version, just start with the copy step to the usb, and double check the .sh file permissions as executable). As far as the restore scripts, these are standalone and can be run in the future, but of course will not contain variables that have been added in newer releases.

Thanks for the feedback to help improve the utility!

Last edited:
Version 8 Update

Another update....thanks to everyone providing feedback!

Version 0.8 17-December-2014
- add access list for SMB/FTP - thanks snb
- add [DNS Filter] section - thanks snb
- add [Parental Controls] section
- updated QuickStart to check file permissions on SMB/FTP shares
- updated QuickStart with clear text password reminder

Due to some temporary problems with attachments, I've put the latest version up on my download site.

nvram-save-r8.zip

That was quick! :)
Already set up those sections again, so will do another backup tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks mate!

Another update....thanks to everyone providing feedback!

Version 0.8 17-December-2014
- add access list for SMB/FTP - thanks snb
- add [DNS Filter] section - thanks snb
- add [Parental Controls] section
- updated QuickStart to check file permissions on SMB/FTP shares
- updated QuickStart with clear text password reminder

nvram-save-r8.zip

Hello
I noticed that after a restore we still miss wireless channel settings
The variables to add to nvram.ini are

wl0_chanspec
wl1_chanspec

Thanks
Ocram

Hello
I noticed that after a restore we still miss wireless channel settings
The variables to add to nvram.ini are

wl0_chanspec
wl1_chanspec

Thanks
Ocram

I'll double check, but I believe those will be recreated/overwritten after you access the appropriate Wireless tab based on the country/regrev values (used to populate the channel selection dropdowns).

Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow. I saved my settings using v8 yesterday, did a factory reset and then restored from the backup. Thereafter my wireless channel was set to Auto, whereas prior to the factory reset it was set to channel 11. Could you clarify what I should have done differently so that the wireless channel setting would have been set back to 11? Thanks very much for all your hard work on this. I wish something like this was a standard feature in the firmware (with a nice GUI and all).
--
bc

I'll double check, but I believe those will be recreated/overwritten after you access the appropriate Wireless tab based on the country/regrev values (used to populate the channel selection dropdowns).

Well, I double checked and you are right....it should be included (I was thinking about wlx_chlist variables) :eek: The wlx_chanspec variables are actually set outside of the main gui code in a javascript routine.

@rlcronin - This will also fix your concern.

New version up soon.

Christmas update :)

Version 9 24-December-2014
- add chanspec vars - thanks ocram59,rlcronin
- add TxPower vars for 374 code (txpower for 376 code already present)
- update/consolidate [MAC Filters] vars
- remove unnecessary _unit vars

Thanks again to everyone for keeping the feedback going to improve the utility.

Everyone have a safe and happy holiday!

your download link dont work for me well atlest not in firefox/cyberfox

I was right this was bug in Firefox/cyberfox 64bit builds MS onedrive where buged in 34.xx builds 35.xx builds have this fixed

Last edited:
your download link dont work for me well atlest not in firefox/cyberfox

Sorry you are having problems, but things look OK from my end. Link works in IE and the download stats look normal (typically have 10+ downloads per day, 16 so far today).

I also tried to put the file back on as an attachment, but am still being blocked by CloudFare.

in IE it works but in Firefox/cyberfox 64bit it does not,and i have disabled adblock and it still didnt work, i also kinda refuse to use IE

I just noting there seem to be issue with that place with some browsers

I went and did some testing I disabled every single addon and theme i had in Firefox/cyberfox 64bit. try down load link it didnt work. I enabled all 3rd party cookies even and that link just wont load, the only thing that let that link load on my end was to run firefox/cyberfox 64bit in safemode, which what i was doing when i manual disabled the addons 1 at time to see if one of them was the cause.

so i not sure, what is causing unless safe mode of firefox disable more then addons

Still love the script keep the good work up with it

Last edited:
No issue here with Chrome or Firefox. Not sure if I'm 32 or 64 bit.

dont know i just used safe mode of cyberfox 64bit to download it as manual disable all the addons didnt fix issue for me.

Best utilty ever makes backing up and restory settings after upgrade fw and factory reset super easy less then 5 minutes your done :)

No issue here with Chrome or Firefox. Not sure if I'm 32 or 64 bit.

If you're using Chrome and want to know if you're 32 or 64-bit, just bring up the task manager. If your "Google Chrome" processes include "-32" at the end of the name, then you're 32-bit. If there's no number, you just see "Google Chrome", then you're 64-bit.

You can also tell via "About Google Chrome" in the menu in the upper right hand corner of the Chrome Browser window. For example, mine says "Version 39.0.2171.95 m (64-bit)", which is clearly a 64-bit version. If you have nothing saying that it is 64-bit there, then it's a 32-bit version.

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility

John, this is the best router app ever! Thank you so much!

I got an Astrill VPN applet installed on top of the firmware, which creates a new menu under the "General" tab. Within this menu, there are several tabs with options.

Is there a way i can find these settings in nvram and have them backed up aswell?

I got an Astrill VPN applet installed on top of the firmware, which creates a new menu under the "General" tab. Within this menu, there are several tabs with options.

Is there a way i can find these settings in nvram and have them backed up aswell?

We can probably figure it out. If I remember correctly, the Astrill applet installs itself in jffs storage....what you would want to try and do is find the directory where it's installed and look for .asp, .htm and .js files. If you can find those, we could extract from them what nvram vars are being used.

Another possibility is if Astrill used a 'common' naming convention for its variables, something like starting all the names with ast_ for example (we should be so lucky :)).

You could do an

nvram show | more

and see if anything jumps out at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!