What's new

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirm it run fine on mi rt-AC68U!

Nice and very useful script !

I read the update right? does this now back up the custom scripts/cron job? aka a weekly reboot script?

Yes, you read it correctly :)

Following the quickstart format it will make a directory on the USB stick

/mnt/ASUS/jffs-yyyymmdd-macid

You can then do a complete restore to that version backup by

jffs-restore.sh jffs-yyyymmdd-macid

for example

jffs-restore.sh jffs-20150125-E1F2

Yes, you read it correctly :)

Following the quickstart format it will make a directory on the USB stick

/mnt/ASUS/jffs-yyyymmdd-macid

You can then do a complete restore to that version backup by

jffs-restore.sh jffs-yyyymmdd-macid

for example

jffs-restore.sh jffs-20150125-E1F2

Nice, Got say this lil script you made to help everyone with back/restore is really great.

Just used the script - very easy, and worked well. However, I didn't see anywhere in the saved information where the names I've given my devices were stored. I see the MAC and IPs in the "dhcp_staticlist" list, but not the names. Is this something for a future upgrade?

Thanks for this!

Just used the script - very easy, and worked well. However, I didn't see anywhere in the saved information where the names I've given my devices were stored. I see the MAC and IPs in the "dhcp_staticlist" list, but not the names. Is this something for a future upgrade?

Thanks for this!

I thought these were covered in the 'custom_clientlist' variable. If there is another variable I need to include?

I thought these were covered in the 'custom_clientlist' variable. If there is another variable I need to include?

I don't have anything for "custom_clientlist" in my nvram-restore-20150128-XXXX.sh file. Nothing matching "custom" and the only things matching "client" are for http_client, pptpd_client, and vpn_client.

Edit: this is for an RT-N66U running stock 3.0.0.4.376_3754 firmware.

Last edited:
I don't have anything for "custom_clientlist" in my nvram-restore-20150128-XXXX.sh file. Nothing matching "custom" and the only things matching "client" are for http_client, pptpd_client, and vpn_client.

What code level did you run the save utility on and what level did you restore to?

Also, please run the following command....

nvram show | grep one-of-your-custom-names

doing the substitution of course for your custom name after you set them up.

Last edited:

My dhcp_staticlist includes the device names. Syntax is:

<MAC>IP>Hostname<MAC>IP>Hostname

What code level did you run the save utility on and what level did you restore to?

Also, please run the following command....

nvram show | grep one-of-your-custom-names

doing the substitution of course for your custom name after you set them up.

I'm running version 10 of the script. I only did a save, not a restore. From the ASUS web gui, I can see my custom names.

The nvram show command tells me my custom names are in two places:
client_info_tmp
and
nmp_client_list

but neither place contains all my custom names. The client_info seems to have names derived from Windows PCs, etc... and the nmp_client_list seems to have items that I've named, plus some of the Win client names.

Names entered on the DHCP reservation page will be inserted in dhcp_staticlist. Those are used as hostnames.

Names entered on the networkmap will be in custom_clientlist. Those are only used in the networkmap display.

So you should have everything with these two variables.

Stock firmware does not allow you to enter names on the DHCP page, that's why there's no name in your dhcp_staticlist.

from the 'nvram show | grep custom' command, I can see that my "custom_clientlist" is blank.

# nvram show | grep custom
custom_clientlist=
vpn_server1_custom=
vpn_server2_custom=
smbd_custom=
vpn_client1_custom=
vpn_client2_custom=
vpn_client_custom=
vpn_server_custom=

The names that I've entered for my devices on the Network Map seem to be stored in the "nmp_client_list" variable. along with what looks to be the MAC address and some other numbers.

Merlin confirmed what I thought to be the case, but I'll take a look at the variables you reference and see if I can figure out how/when they are being used.

from the 'nvram show | grep custom' command, I can see that my "custom_clientlist" is blank.

# nvram show | grep custom
custom_clientlist=
vpn_server1_custom=
vpn_server2_custom=
smbd_custom=
vpn_client1_custom=
vpn_client2_custom=
vpn_client_custom=
vpn_server_custom=

The names that I've entered for my devices on the Network Map seem to be stored in the "nmp_client_list" variable. along with what looks to be the MAC address and some other numbers.

There's a bug in Asus's firmware where those entries are not saved to nvram, and will disappear after a reboot. That's why you can't export them from stock FW.

The script does not save the Manual Media Server Path for DLNA settings...

Thanks for your good work!

The script does not save the Manual Media Server Path for DLNA settings...

Thanks for your good work!

Not sure I understand....

the media shares are saved under dms_dir_x

the path variable to the db directory will automatically be generated by the code, either by default or by using a minidlna script override if it exists.

Remember, this is saving user inputs, not every parameter that may be generated by the code.

Not sure I understand....

the media shares are saved under dms_dir_x

the path variable to the db directory will automatically be generated by the code, either by default or by using a minidlna script override if it exists.

Remember, this is saving user inputs, not every parameter that may be generated by the code.

It just did not restore the manual path last time I restored. I did not check the nvram value, sorry. Maybe I did something wrong, I don't know. Just wanted to inform, maybe you can reproduce.

New version available.

Version 11 29-January-2015
  • - add Merlin build unique variables
  • - add 374 fork unique variables
  • - added code specific restore
    • - create single merged filter maclist for 378 code
    • - delete unused variables depending on code level
  • - added Changelog and sha256 hashes in download directory
  • - minor updates to QuickStart
  • - AC3200 support not yet understood and will likely require changes
Full Changelog is available in download directory
nvram-save-r11.zip
http://1drv.ms/16pENHc
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy!

Looks like the jffs restore script is hard coded for /mnt/ASUS path instead of just using ./.

New version available.

Version 11 29-January-2015
  • - add Merlin build unique variables
  • - add 374 fork unique variables
  • - added code specific restore
    • - create single merged filter maclist for 378 code
    • - delete unused variables depending on code level
  • - added Changelog and sha256 hashes in download directory
  • - minor updates to QuickStart
  • - AC3200 support not yet understood and will likely require changes
Full Changelog is available in download directory
nvram-save-r11.zip
http://1drv.ms/16pENHc
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy!

Thank you for this excellent script, I was searching something like this from a while.
May I suggest to create a bzip2 archive at the end of the save script?
Something like:
tar -jcvf nvram-backup.tar.bz2 nvram* jffs*

Objective is to create an uniq file archive.

Anyway, excellent work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!