What's new

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to avoid overcrowding sub-forums with stickies, because when there are too many of them, people simply ignore them. See the DD-WRT Broadcom sub-forum for a pretty bad example of what happens with too many stickies. I can't even remember what half of them are.

However this could be added to the Wiki, which is the place everyone should be looking when in search of documentation.

Thanks for great scripts, helped me a lot.

But What are these two values used to ??
wan0_routing_isp="**masked**"
wan1_routing_isp="**masked**"

Had to search these out....it looks like the code can be customized at build time to includes special routing tables for specific ISPs. There are two other vars,
wan[0/1]_routing_isp_enable that when set to '1' cause the tables to actually be created.

And there are several *modem* variables missing in my dualwanconfig.
such as
modem_isp=Masked
usb_modem_act_int=ttyUSB0

Thanks for the catch....I missed the modem_xxx vars. I'll pick them up in the next release. The usb_modem_xxxxx vars are actually destroyed and recreated on every boot so don't need to be included.

I want to avoid overcrowding sub-forums with stickies, because when there are too many of them, people simply ignore them. See the DD-WRT Broadcom sub-forum for a pretty bad example of what happens with too many stickies. I can't even remember what half of them are.

However this could be added to the Wiki, which is the place everyone should be looking when in search of documentation.

Thanks Merlin
Yes Wiki is the right place

Hello John

I added to nvram.ini the following section to save QoS Settings

[QOS Settings]
qos_reset
qos_irates
qos_rst
qos_inuse
qos_rulelist
qos_sticky
qos_orules
qos_ibw
qos_type
qos_syn
qos_ack
qos_burst0
qos_burst1
qos_method
qos_icmp
qos_enable
qos_obw
qos_default
qos_orates
qos_fin
qos_rulenum_x

=============

Best Regards and thanks again
Ocram

How you add this to the file? or would mind linking a updated verison with the QOS

Hello
You need to edit nvram.ini with nano or vi in a telnet or ssh session with you router
Alternatively you can edit it on your PC then transfer it to replace the original one
I prefer to let John to be the one to post updated version, to avoid to have multple versions of the the ini file and also because he is the right person to give all the credits for this very useful script

BR
Ocram

Yah how bout adding via notepad ++ Like just copy and past what you posted to end? if not i wait till updated cause the QOS saving is important to me

Last edited:
Bump for update to version 5....info in first post. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and things to add!

you sir are a life saver, one my reasons why i didnt keep up with the firmware updates was cause i could not just back up settings easily

I do have question though.

I only have usb stick that i use for other things, so with that said IF i do that back up then copy all those files back to folder on my pc, I can just put all the files back on the usb stick and it will work fine correct yes?

I do have question though.

I only have usb stick that i use for other things, so with that said IF i do that back up then copy all those files back to folder on my pc, I can just put all the files back on the usb stick and it will work fine correct yes?

Yes, you can copy them off and back but you will probably lose the correct file permissions in the process.

So, after you reinsert the USB stick in the router with the copied files, logon, and change to the /mnt/directory containing the files enter:

chmod a+rx nvram*.sh

will do, you might want to add to quick-start that the

cd /mnt/ASUS

Is actual case sensitive or something , In fact I named my driver Asus, but i could only access it by typing EXACTLY what

ls /mnt

List the name.

I formatted a few time fat 32/ntsf/quick/fast format before realizing this. That or i just wasnt thinking when i was doing this at 3am

Other it looks great gona add the chmod a+rx nvram*.sh info the my quick-start file can maybe add that on your end to if some one does they same thing i doing.

likes said before great script saves me alot of trouble.

Last edited:
Ahhh....good thought....

Unlike Windows, in Linux everything is case sensitive. I'll add a 'case' warning into the QuickStart.

Thanks for the feedback!

Update to Version 5a
- Updated QuickStart.txt files - feedback by tsunami2311 - thanks!
- No changes to program/ini files

Enjoy!

..... Version 4 adds a 'Migration Mode' for use when transferring settings between routers. ....

Does this mean I could use the script also to migrate settings between different hardware/firmware models, e.g. between a RT-66AC and a RT-68AC, running different f/w versions? If not, what would be the limitations?

Does this mean I could use the script also to migrate settings between different hardware/firmware models, e.g. between a RT-66AC and a RT-68AC, running different f/w versions? If not, what would be the limitations?

That's the intent (now using migration mode). The script is meant to capture only the settings input thru the GUI, not those specifically related to the code/driver/router.

There's a post in this thread where someone successfully used the script to migrate the settings from an N16 to an AC87U.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=148265&postcount=14

Now for the caveats...
- there's always a chance that ASUS changed the meaning of some setting between either firmware versions or router model (don't know of any yet, but it's possible)
- when migrating, don't have both new and old routers on your network at the same time (you would have duplicate system names, SSIDs, DHCP servers, etc. which is not a good thing)
- worst case is you would have to do a factory reset and go back to the manual method of entering everything, so no risk in trying

My pleasure....but I forgot the most important advice....

- after you are done, take a run through the gui pages and make sure everything looks reasonable!:)

I ran the backup and it created the file. When I went to restore I ran the file nvram-restore-20141127-5AD7.sh it told me file not found. I even copied the files name and pasted and same issue. Any ideas?

I ran the backup and it created the file. When I went to restore I ran the file nvram-restore-20141127-5AD7.sh it told me file not found. I even copied the files name and pasted and same issue. Any ideas?

Does
Code:
ls -l
show the file with the correct permissions?

If you copied the file off, then back, you may have lost the correct permissions.
In the directory with the file:

Code:
chmod a+rx nvram*.sh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!