What's new

Using Synology 212j to recover data from WD Mybooklive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lahiruwan

New Around Here
Hi
N00b question...

I have a WD 2TB Mybook Live which has bricked. I presume that the drive is working as I can feel it spin up. If the HDD actually is working I need to recover the data.
I have ordered a Synology DS212j NAS with a 2TB drive and expect to get it towards the end of the week.
If I take the drive out of the Mybook Live and plug it straight to the already setup Synology DS212j's 2nd bay would I be able to see the data from the MBL's disc? My knowledge of NAS drives is not too deep so it might sound like a dumb question.

Thanks

This probably won't work.

What you need to do is try plugging the MyBook drive into a Linux machine and see if it mounts.

Hi
N00b question...

I have a WD 2TB Mybook Live which has bricked. I presume that the drive is working as I can feel it spin up. If the HDD actually is working I need to recover the data.
I have ordered a Synology DS212j NAS with a 2TB drive and expect to get it towards the end of the week.
If I take the drive out of the Mybook Live and plug it straight to the already setup Synology DS212j's 2nd bay would I be able to see the data from the MBL's disc? My knowledge of NAS drives is not too deep so it might sound like a dumb question.

Thanks

Was the WD Mybook Live formatted as NTFS or extfs?
If the former, obviously you can put the drive in a USB enclosure and hope.
If the latter, you can try a device driver for Windows to mount extfs, or connect drive to USB or SATA port on a Linux PC and try to mount it.