What's new

Virtual Server / Port Forwarding Forced Reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

navysealltblue

New Around Here
In older versions of the firmware, when port forwarding changed, the router would apply the change without issue. More recent versions have employed a forced full reboot of the router when port forwarding changes are applied. When I use nvram set and nvram commit, the port forwarding changes appear to take place without any ill effects, so I am curious why the router reboots when I use the web gui to update this.

Thank in advance for your time.

In older versions of the firmware, when port forwarding changed, the router would apply the change without issue. More recent versions have employed a forced full reboot of the router when port forwarding changes are applied. When I use nvram set and nvram commit, the port forwarding changes appear to take place without any ill effects, so I am curious why the router reboots when I use the web gui to update this.

Thank in advance for your time.

This means you have HW acceleration enabled. Asus forces a router reboot in that case whenever you make a change to port forwards.

Hi,

I was wondering about this also. I dont really care if the switch reboots but the problem is that for some reason it looses its WAN ip. If i do a change remotely it never comes back up. I have to powercycle my ISP's Fibre termination box for the ASUS to get an IP again.

/Jacob

Hi,

I was wondering about this also. I dont really care if the switch reboots but the problem is that for some reason it looses its WAN ip. If i do a change remotely it never comes back up. I have to powercycle my ISP's Fibre termination box for the ASUS to get an IP again.

/Jacob

It's not the switch that gets rebooted, it's the entire router.

I saw in a recent beta build that Asus seems to have removed this requirement. I'm not sure if there was any code change needed for this (I only saw the webui part of the change), so I'll wait until the next GPL release before implementing that change.

Sorry. I did mean "router" not "switch

Well. I am looking forward to that change because as for right now i cannot make any changes that require a reboot when im not at home or else the internet connection will be down until i can get back and physically powercycle the ISP fiber box.

I did find another thread where there was a suggestion to switch DHCP from aggressive to normal. I will tryr that but im at work right now and do not dare to reboot the asus because im afraid it will not come back up :)

Hi RMerlin,

Just tried doing a port forward on RT-N56U with original firmware 3.0.0.4.374_979

When applying the port forward the router does NOT reboot?

NAT accelerator is set to enable which i take it is hw accell?

Is the N56U different in that regard?

What changes would make the router reboot?

/Jacob

Last edited:
Hi RMerlin,

Just tried doing a port forward on RT-N56U with original firmware 3.0.0.4.374_979

When applying the port forward the router does NOT reboot?

NAT accelerator is set to enable which i take it is hw accell?

Is the N56U different in that regard?

What changes would make the router reboot?

/Jacob

RT-N56U is not Broadcom-based, it's Ralink-based. Ralink don't use the CTF hardware acceleration module, this is a Broadcom-only technology.

It's not the switch that gets rebooted, it's the entire router.

I saw in a recent beta build that Asus seems to have removed this requirement. I'm not sure if there was any code change needed for this (I only saw the webui part of the change), so I'll wait until the next GPL release before implementing that change.

Are we getting closer to a fix where the router does not have to reboot after port forwarding?

Are we getting closer to a fix where the router does not have to reboot after port forwarding?

That should no longer be a requirement starting with FW 376_xxxx.

Code:
        /* 2014.04 Viz: No need to reboot for ctf enable models.
        if(ctf_disable == '0' && isChange()){
                document.form.action_script.value = "reboot";
                document.form.action_wait.value = "<% get_default_reboot_time(); %>";
        }*/