What's new

VLAN config for managed/PLE/unmanaged

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MJMcMahon

Occasional Visitor
Hi all -

odd problem that I hadn't run into so far in my LAN. Here's the setup:

Router is a Cisco 1841 with sub-interfaces for each VLAN (100,101). The managed switch is (for the moment) a Netgear GS108T. The problem endpoint is connected to a dumb switch on the other side of a PLE400. From what I can tell, the devices on that network CAN get to the internet, but part of it isn't working. I can't connect to Amazon streaming from the DVD when I use the wired net, but it works when connected to WiFi. :confused:

Currently, I have the GS108 tagging the ports for the Router and the Wireless and the remaining ports connecting to workstations and the PLE400 are un-tagged. PVID for the access ports are set to the preferred VLAN (100), PVID for the router and Wifi are on the default VLAN (1).

I'm sure a big part of this is the GS108T, which uses some different terminology from what I'm used to from my CCNA coursework. As I understand it, Tagged ports function like a Cisco TRUNK port (passing all VLANs), where an Untagged port acts like a Cisco Access port, using only that particular VLAN. I found I had to set PVID for the access ports to get to network resources, hence the PVID setting for all access ports.

I've tried a number of changes - oddly, setting VLAN 100 to 'native' on the router seems to disconnect Wireless clients (probably because I've had to set the VLAN offset in the router to 96 to be able to tag traffic as VLAN 100 or 101). Setting the PLE400 port on the switch to Tagged also seemed to have no effect

HALP!!!

Mike

Forgot two of the most important components to troubleshooting:

1.) Ask "what changed from when it last worked", and

2.) Check the physical layer!

I'd been messing with the PLE400s and grabbed the wrong cable when I plugged it back into the dumb switch. It wasn't a case of the VLAN blocking traffic, it was a lack of uplink. Unfortunately, I removed the VLAN configuration as part of my troubleshooting before I discovered the cabling fault, so I get to practice deploying a VLAN again.

If nothing else, I'll be well-versed with VLANs and Tomato before it's all over and done with. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!