What's new

VLAN Suggestions for MOCA Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ali.

Occasional Visitor
Hello all, I am looking for any ideas to create VLANs on my current setup. I am attaching the diagram here for reference.

Regards
Current Setup.png

MoCA adapters are media converters. What will create the VLANs on your network? Your routers have no VLANs support.

MoCA adapters are media converters. What will create the VLANs on your network? Your routers have no VLANs support.
This is exactly why I am asking the question. What changes can I make to this setup without taking out the MOCA adpaters?

MoCA adapters are not the problem. You simply don't have VLAN capable routers.

MoCA adapters are not the problem. You simply don't have VLAN capable routers.
Understood. Can I add a Netgate appliance to this setup to vlan-ize it? All of my devices are wired via MOCA. Only iPads and mobile devices are wireless.

I understand the ASUS routers do not support VLAN.

Sure you can create VLANs on Netgate/pfSense or something else mostly SMB gear, but something needs to understand VLAN on the other side. You need managed switches and VLAN capable access points, for example. VLAN capable router/firewall by itself won't do anything.

Your best option might be to try and get 802.1Q VLANS working. This type of VLAN can run multiple VLANs over single cable. Assuming the MOCA would pass the VLAN wrapper you would need a VLAN capable switch after your AX11000 and then multiple VLAN capable switches with one for each branch of your MOCA linked network where you want a VLAN. TP Link makes some reasonable priced smart switches which let you setup 802.1Q VLANs using the GUI.

Understood. Can I add a Netgate appliance to this setup to vlan-ize it? All of my devices are wired via MOCA. Only iPads and mobile devices are wireless.

I understand the ASUS routers do not support VLAN.

Go see this thread. Exactly what I was doing, VLANs over MoCA using VLAN compatible switches.
Works great.
VLAN & MoCA