What's new

Voxel Voxel's firmware for Orbi RBK50 system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just got the RBK50 a week ago and I love it. But as a tech guy I would like to see more features added to that great router.
So I definitely want to try a Voxel custom FW ! :D

Thanks Voxel for your work.

Last edited:
What is your relationship with MyOpenRouter, NETGEAR's official site for 3rd party firmware? They seem aware of you. That's where I would be asking these questions....

Screenshot_2017-12-29-08-07-13.png

What is your relationship with MyOpenRouter, NETGEAR's official site for 3rd party firmware? They seem aware of you. That's where I would be asking these questions....

Well. My relationships with any official NETGEAR's representatives are a bit troublesome. I know that NETGEAR dislikes my job. Very first my post here on your forum regarding my builds (published by you ;)) explain this:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800.36859/

I publish my custom firmware for R7800 owners. People using my firmware suggested me to start topic here, in this forum. Open Router forum is not so friendly for participants and sometimes people are just unable to publish their posts.

There is a real suggestion to move to SNB Forums:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/comment/40310#comment-40310

Plus several in P.M. I.e. some time ago I was almost blocked on myopenrouter (unable to post anything, having Access denied page). Now (after switching to SNB and getting alternative place for publication) usually I can.

I hope I did not violate any rules publishing my question here?

Voxel.

I've read through your thread over on MyOpenRouter. I'm not seeing any evidence of you getting in trouble with the forum mods. Looks more like the suggestion to move here was due to the clunky nature of the forum software. So how do you know "NETGEAR dislikes my job"?

It also looks like you can post firmware there since you just uploaded new R9000 F/W on 12/20.

You are not violating any rules. Just trying to understand the situation and help you find the community with the largest audience.

So how do you know "NETGEAR dislikes my job"?

1. [removed] If for example I was not able to publish anything on myopenrouter forum during 1-1.5 months. In spite of my report to administration.

2. If I see that GPL source codes published by NETGEAR developers were replaced after publishing my builds by castrated version, spoiled intentionally, with cut off key packages, i.e. if anybody will try to compile it he/she will get firmware which definitely brick the router. For example I have two version of the same old version of firmware, when first is OK after compilation, but second (currently this second is available for downloading) will cause bricked router.

3. If all my attempts to get contact with NETGEAR developers for joint job were ignored (I tried to do with admin of myopenrouter and with NETGEAR Guy who is on this forum). In spite of the fact that according to these guys NETGEAR stuff was aware and interested in contacting me.

I just not so stupid to think that it is just accidental case. I do not understand why because my job help them in sales IMO.

Just trying to understand the situation and help you find the community with the largest audience.

OK, I see, thank you.

Update: I remove p. 1. Maybe it is specific of myopenrouter platform.

Voxel.

Last edited:
I would NOT recommend the Orbi. I have had mine for over a year (and it used to be awesome), but a firmware update 6 or more weeks ago has made it junk. It disconnects multiple times, day & night. The disconnects mess with all my home control items(tired of having to reset some of them). And the satellite is in the bedroom, so as it cycles back to reconnect, it becomes a very annoying night light. At first it seemed like a problem with my ISP, but I quickly figured out it was my Orbi system. Netgear doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix the firmware either. And there is no way to turn off the automatic updates and/or roll it back to one that worked. I am frustrated, especially for what it cost. I am trying to figure out what system I should change to? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks. But maybe your firmware would make it great again? I would be interested.

@GREG_S_88

You can roll back to a previous firmware version by manually downloading it from this page and flashing it from the web admin interface:
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

You can also disable automatic updates with these instructions:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-stop-Orbi-firmware-auto-update/td-p/1324186

Do you remember which firmware version was stable for you?

Voxel's modified firmware will exhibit mostly the same issues as stock firmware as it is based on stock, but he will most certainly select a universally stable base firmware version to work from, i.e. not a recent one!

Last edited:
unfortunately I'm not sure which version I need to go back to. I only started watching version numbers after I figured out that the Orbi was the cause of our internet (wifi) problems. Up until the problems started, it was the best wifi we have ever had in our weird shaped house. I think I'm going to try a factory reset, guess it couldn't hurt. If that doesn't work, I am open for suggestions on the next system to get? My frustration level is about maxed out. It's unfortunate about the amount of $$$ I feel like I wasted on an Orbi system!

1. If for example I was not able to publish anything on myopenrouter forum during 1-1.5 months. In spite of my report to administration.

Based on what I saw in your post, your issue was more with Cloudflare than with MyOpenRouter. That'd be why you also had similar issues here on SNBForums for a while.

Cloudflare can be very picky at times when posting anything that contains traces of a Linux shell output, Linux paths, etc... I occasionally had to get creative myself to work around it a couple of times.

While I'm not having any problems with my Orbi with the latest firmware, don't be fooled by the fact that you can roll the firmware back at the moment. Auto-update is apparently turned off at the moment on the Netgear end. But when they turn it back on again (if they do, hope springs eternal *smile*), your rollback will not be persistent. Just a thought.

Based on what I saw in your post, your issue was more with Cloudflare than with MyOpenRouter. That'd be why you also had similar issues here on SNBForums for a while.

Cloudflare can be very picky at times when posting anything that contains traces of a Linux shell output, Linux paths, etc... I occasionally had to get creative myself to work around it a couple of times.

Well, maybe... OK, I remove this point "1.". But "2" and "3" are facts ;)

Voxel.

I got it today and connected it immediately, behind a 6490th I have run it in the router mode and until now wlan everywhere in the house. I will make more detailed tests in the next few days.

so you love, as promised a few more details. as said orbi is in my living room in the closet. 125 square meters wöhnfläche. on the ground floor the same, but a steel concrete ceiling which is to be overcome. orbi satelit on the ground floor and full connection upstairs. I made the speed test of the orbi ap with my iphone7 and the result is on the ground floor with my floor. I also included an ex 8000 extender. He stands white in the office. There is an office pc and a network printer. I've tested many routers the last few months, x10, rtac88 and rtac5300. they all have no chance gegn the orbit system as far as the wlanleistung and the distance when I get away from my house.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!