What's new

Voxel Voxel's firmware for Orbi RBK50 system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My RBK50 has been running well under the most recent firmware but I would love to see other options. I got many great years out of my old R7000 because of DD-WRT and XWRT and I assume RBK50 would benefit immensely .

I also have the RBK50 which runs quite well in my home but I am always looking at ways to improve things and or add more options. Hope to see this happen!

I am using your firmware for the R7800, so would be very interested in firmware for the Orbi. Any time frame of when/if this will happen?

It rather depends on NETGEAR (NETGEAR Guy?) re: if they are interested in my builds for Orbi. I do not need this system for my own usage, so I start with this if NETGEAR sends my the unit.

Voxel.
Have one I would consider loaning... Pm me off list?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Have one I would consider loaning... Pm me off list?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk
Thanks but I'd prefer to get it from NG. If I release fw for gadget I have to maintain it, i.e. permanent access to unit.

Voxel.

Thanks but I'd prefer to get it from NG. If I release fw for gadget I have to maintain it, i.e. permanent access to unit.

Voxel.
Netgear recently released a new firmware and is still a mess for some. A loaner unit happening so we can get some decent firmware?

The RBK50 series definitely needs better firmware, and it doesn’t seem forthcoming from Netgear. So I’d support Voxel in this. Do we all need to pitch in to provide the hardware?

Thanks, but anyway:

(There are some "political" issues NG<->Voxel :)).

Voxel.

I'm really sorry to hear that...Netgear should be one of those mfrs. that recognizes how much solid third-party firmware helps their product sales. They should be encouraging you!

I'm really sorry to hear that...Netgear should be one of those mfrs. that recognizes how much solid third-party firmware helps their product sales. They should be encouraging you!
It’s true. Look how many folks buy Asus routers because of the great 3rd party firmware available. I’m contemplating pulling my Asus router out of my junk drawer and putting it in front of my Orbi, which would go into AP mode.

It’s true. Look how many folks buy Asus routers because of the great 3rd party firmware available.
That number is relatively small, judging by market share numbers. NETGEAR far outpaces ASUS.

Do you really think a significant number of router buyers load alternative firmware? Or even upgrade factory firmware if the router doesn't do it automatically.

You have to look beyond the ASUS echo chamber here to see the reality of the market.

That number is relatively small, judging by market share numbers. NETGEAR far outpaces ASUS.

Do you really think a significant number of router buyers load alternative firmware? Or even upgrade factory firmware if the router doesn't do it automatically.

You have to look beyond the ASUS echo chamber here to see the reality of the market.

Don't forget the recommendation factor...happy people recommend their hardware to others. I realize that a small number of people recommending something doesn't enlarge the market much, but a little *smile*. I'm pretty much joking here *smile*.

I do agree that in the sea of people that buy and use routers, etc., very few care much more than initially setting it up (or paying for or getting someone else to do the setup), and never touch it unless it breaks or doesn't meet their needs acceptably.

I agree.

Probably we all here on your forum are a bit specific users ;). For example I bought my ASUS routers only because of existence RMerlin builds. And I started with my builds only because I was dissatisfied by absence of RMerlin firmware features on NG routers...

Well, at least I do not know anybody from my friends/colleagues who are using stock on ASUS (and now on NG)...

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!